SOC 50B: SOCIAL WORK/HUMAN SERVICES FIELDWORK
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Effective Term:||Summer 2023|
|Hours:||3 lecture per week (36 total per quarter)|
|Advisory:||Completion of SOC 1 or 1H recommended.|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Pass/No Pass Only|
The student will be able to:
- Apply theoretical knowledge obtained in the prerequisite and corequisite course to the fieldwork experience
- Evaluate the fieldwork experience in relation to prerequisite and corequisite course objectives, career plans, and personal growth
- Apply ethics, values, and skills that recognize and explore professional use of self
Application of the following to the fieldwork experience:
- The developmental journey of becoming a social worker or human services practitioner and the nature of social work and human services practice as a helping profession
- Codes of ethics (e.g., NASW or NOHS) and social justice principles
- Legal context of social work practice/human services, and the role of supervision in the professional development journey
- Resources and services that clients need and depend on
- Examination of the needs, interests, resources, values, and opportunities of people who vary in terms of race, nationality, ethnicity, sexuality, spirituality, gender, age, abilities, economic status, or language
- Exploring the progressive nature and skills of generalist practice
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
2. When taught as an online distance learning section, students and faculty need ongoing and continuous internet and email access.
Method(s) of Evaluation
Documented completion of required field hours
Method(s) of Instruction
Students will participate in fieldwork placements. The instructor will provide student support for the duration of the placement and document the completion of the placement at its conclusion
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
NASW. Code of Ethics of the National Association of Social Workers. 2021.
NOHS. Ethical Standards for Human Services Professionals. 2015.
Cournoyer, Barry R.. The Social Work Skills Workbook. 2017.
Kiser, Pamela Myers. The Human Services Internship: Getting the Most from Your Experience, 4th ed.. 2016.
The NOHS (2015) publication is the most recent and is up-to-date. The Kiser text (2016) is the most recent and up-to-date.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
- Students will keep a journal of fieldwork experiences