Academic Catalog

Financial Planning & College Costs

Student Fees

All students pay $31 per unit (fees are subject to change by California legislative action). In addition, the non-resident student tuition fee and the foreign student tuition fee is $245 per unit, for a total of $276 per unit.

Foothill charges additional fees for Campus Center use, on-campus parking, lab courses, student body activities (voluntary), VTA SmartPass and health services. International F-1 Visa students are required to purchase comprehensive health insurance each quarter; visit for the most up-to-date information.

All fees, which are posted online at, are subject to change. Tuition and fees may be refunded under certain circumstances; the specific refund policy is posted online at Direct questions about tuition and fees to the Cashier’s Office in Building 8100 or call 650.949.7331.

Instructional Materials Fees

In some courses, there may be an instructional materials fee. These fees, detailed in the online class schedule, reflect the actual cost for materials, meaning that the cost is usually lower than if you were to purchase the same items separately. Unless there’s an issue of health or safety, you can either pay the fees to the college or provide your own materials of equal quality. Your instructor will provide a list of required materials.

Estimated Annual Cost of Attending Foothill College

It’s important for you to financially plan your education. The following cost estimates are calculated for a student attending Foothill College full time (enrolled in 15 units) for nine months.

Examples of Additional Costs

For students enrolled in allied health programs (paramedic, dental hygiene, etc.), special fees, lab fees, tooling, and other related costs may be added to the normal cost of attendance. Expenses for dependent care, disability-related costs and campus abroad costs may also be considered with documentation.

2024–2025 Cost of Attendance for CA Residents

Item Cost to those who reside at home with no dependents Cost to all others
Books & Supplies $1,795 $1,795
Fees $1,5661 $1,5661
Room & Board $12,505 $20,791
Transportation $1,791 $1,962
Miscellaneous $4,199 $4,968
Total $21,856 $31,082

Based on average full-time enrollment; fees are subject to change by state legislative action.


The college maintains a refund policy for tuition and fees at the Admissions & Records Office and book purchases at the Bookstore. A community college district shall not refund any enrollment fee paid by a student for program changes made after the first two weeks of instruction for a primary term-length course, or after the 10-percent point of length of the course for a short-term course, unless the program changes are a result of action by the district to cancel or reschedule a course or to drop a student pursuant to Title 5, section 58106(g) where the student fails to meet a prerequisite. A student can request a refund for quarter-length classes that are dropped by the deadline. In most cases, the deadline is the second Friday of the quarter or the first Friday of Summer Session. However, this date varies by course and term. Exact drop deadline dates for each course are posted in MyPortal. Students are responsible for reviewing exact drop dates. The Admissions & Records Office and Bookstore can provide the most current policies for obtaining a refund.


Students who withdraw from the college – on or before 60 percent of the quarter is completed – may be required to repay Title IV funds. Students who receive all F’s, W’s, FW’s or NP’s may also be subject to repayment requirements. The funds are repaid to the Cashier’s Office and the student will be notified of any debt within 30 days after the college’s determination that the student has withdrawn.

  • Official Withdrawals: The date used to determine that a student withdrew is not necessarily the same as a student’s official withdrawal date. A student’s withdrawal date is used to determine the percentage of the payment period or period of enrollment completed and, therefore, the amount of aid a student has earned. The date that the student withdrew is determined upon running a variety of reports from our student information system to calculate the Return of Title IV funds.   
  • Unofficial Withdrawals: Occur when there is no notification or official withdrawal by the student. The withdrawal date is based on the date that the college becomes aware that the student has ceased attendance. If the student does not officially drop classes and receives a combination of W, FW, F or NP grades for all courses in a term, it will be considered an unofficial withdrawal, even if the student was enrolled in the course for the entire term. Percentage of Title IV funds that the student earns based on withdrawal date depends on classes the student is enrolled in. The percentage is calculated as the number of days the student is enrolled divided by the number of total days in their payment period.    

For more information about repayment, please visit

Tuition & Fees for Four-Year Dental Hygiene and Respiratory Care Programs

Quarterly tuition and fees listed below are in effect for the academic year 2024–2025. Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice. For up-to-date information on quarterly fees, visit

  • Upper Division Course Fee: $56 per unit; this quarterly fee is paid by students who enroll in all upper-division courses.
  • Enrollment Fee: $31 per unit; this quarterly fee is paid by all students.
  • Instructional Materials Fees: Instructional materials fees may be charged for some courses in accordance with state regulations.
  • Non-Resident Tuition: $239 per unit.
  • Basic Fee: $54.75–$56.75; this quarterly fee is paid by all students and includes:
    • Student ID Card Fee: $10; supports many services, activities, and discounts, such as free dental services, recreation room and movie tickets. For more information, visit
    • Health Services Fee: $17; paid by all students and provides health services. Note: Students who depend exclusively upon prayer for healing and students in approved apprenticeship training programs may request this fee to be waived by submitting the Health Fee Exemption Form.
    • Student Representation Fee: $2; provides support for students or student groups to present student viewpoints to government agencies and legislators.
    • Campus Center Use Fee: $20
    • SmartPass Fee: $7.75/$6.75/$5.75; provides students with unlimited rides on VTA buses and light rail for the duration of each quarter in which enrolled. SmartPass Clipper Card is $7.75 for full-time students who are enrolled in 12 or more units; $6.75 for part-time students who are enrolled in 6 to 11.5 units; and $5.75 for the students who are enrolled in fewer than 6 units. For more information, visit

Financial Aid

Are You Eligible?

Financial aid eligibility is often based on need—the difference between what you and your family can provide and the cost of attendance. However, some programs are not need-based, and we suggest further inquiry from students to learn more. The Financial Aid Office is always willing to help you maximize your aid.

Your financial need is determined by the information you and your family provide through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Act Application and any Foothill College additional paperwork. Regardless as to whether the application shows unmet need or not, we may be able to help. Financial aid monies must be used solely to meet cost of attendance at Foothill.

If you are in default on a loan, or owe an overpayment on a grant or loan, you will not be eligible for federal Title IV financial aid until the situation is satisfactorily resolved (though other types of federal, state, and local aid may still allow for eligibility). Eligibility requirements are generally established once you’ve shown, through a completed application, that you:

  • have applied for admission
  • have enrolled in a financial aid-eligible academic program requiring 24 units or more to complete
  • show academic major/goals and units of enrollment that can be applied to an educational plan
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • demonstrate verifiable financial need. Some exceptions may apply. Consult the Financial Aid Office for details.
  • have a high school diploma, GED or the equivalent. If you do not have one of these, see the Financial Aid Office.
  • are a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or other eligible non-citizen (for federal aid)
  • have a valid Social Security Number (for federal aid)

Federal Pell Grant

Federal Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduates based on financial need. This is free grant aid that ranges up to $7,395. Maximum and minimum amounts are subject to change by federal legislative action. A portion of a student's Pell Grant is typically available for use at the Foothill College Bookstore in advance of the term. See Bookstore for details.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

This federal program may be an option if you have exceptional financial need and apply early. You must also be eligible for a Pell Grant. The FSEOG Award is up to $1600 per academic year at Foothill College.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

If you have financial need and want to cover part of your educational expenses through employment, Federal Work Study (FWS) may be an option. You can work up to 19 hours per week. However, you must be enrolled in a minimum of six units to be eligible for FWS. If you receive a FWS award offer, it is your responsibility to apply for posted job openings. For more information about the FWS Program, visit

Federal Direct Subsidized & Unsubsidized Student Loan

Federal Direct Loans are funded by the U.S. Department of Education. As a first-year undergraduate, you may be able to borrow up to $3,500 subsidized per year. As a second-year undergraduate, you may be able to borrow up to $4,500 subsidized per year. For the dental hygiene bachelor’s degree program, you may be able to borrow up to $5,500 subsidized per year. Additional Unsubsidized Direct Loans may also be available annually. For details, visit

State Aid

Cal Grants

To be eligible, in addition to federal aid requirements, a student must:

  • be a California resident or classified as AB540, and
  • not have a bachelor’s or professional degree (except extended Cal Grant A or B awards for a teaching program or other five-year program), and
  • file a completed FAFSA or California Dream Act Application and Cal Grant GPA Verification Form by the deadlines listed below.

Cal Grant A

Covers fees for bachelor's degree programs typically at the UCs, CSUs, private institutions, and select community colleges in California. This award may not be used to pay for community college fees, except in the case of the Foothill College dental hygiene bachelor’s degree program differential fees. Funding for students who are enrolled at community colleges may be held in reserve for up to three years.

Cal Grant B

For high-potential students from disadvantaged or low-income families who otherwise would not be able to pursue a higher education. California community college awards are up to $1,648 per year (subject to state changes). Supplemental awards are available for those with dependents.

Entitlement Award

Every graduating high school senior who has a grade point average of at least 2.0, meets the Cal Grant financial and eligibility requirements and applies by March 2 within one year of graduation is guaranteed this award.

Competitive Award

The student who will enroll at a California Community College and file a FAFSA, although strongly encouraged to apply by March 2, has a second annual deadline of September 2, if not awarded through the March 2 entitlement cycle. Other students who meet the basic Cal Grant eligibility requirements and who have at least a 2.0 grade-point average may compete for this award with students across the state.

Cal Grant C

Helps vocationally-oriented students acquire marketable job skills within a short time. Training must be for a minimum of two quarters and lead to a recognized occupational goal—diploma, associate degree, license qualification or certificate. Funding is available for up to two years, depending on the length of the program, as long as academic progress is acceptable. Awards for California community college students are limited up to $1,094 in training-related costs. Supplemental awards are available for those with dependents.

Student Success Completion Grant

This state award is a supplement for those students awarded a Cal Grant B or C and who are enrolled between 12-15+ units. With each full-time payment of a Cal Grant, a student is eligible to receive a supplemental payment of up to $4,000 annually if in 15+ units from the Student Success Completion Grant. If a student’s Cal Grant payment is less than full-time, they are not eligible for the award in that term.

California Chafee Grant

This federal program, administered by the California Student Aid Commission, offers up to $5,000 of college and vocational school financial aid to youth aging out of a foster care program. To qualify for up to $5,000, the student must demonstrate financial need, meet basic eligibility requirements, complete the FAFSA and the Chafee Grant Application available at

California College Promise Grant (CCPG)

While state law requires that students attending California Community Colleges pay an enrollment fee, the California Community Colleges offer the CCPG. This grant program waives per unit enrollment fees for the academic year.

If you are a California resident or are classified as AB540, you qualify for a CCPG if any one of the following statements applies to your current status:

  • You have qualified for financial aid and your calculated unmet need exceeds $1,103;
  • You meet year-specific income standards;
  • You or your family are receiving TANF/CalWORKS, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or General Assistance/General Relief;
  • You have received certification from the California Department of Veterans Affairs or the California National Guard Adjutant General that you are eligible for a dependent’s fee waiver;
  • You have documentation that you are a dependent of a deceased law enforcement/fire suppression personnel killed in the line of duty; or
  • You have documentation that you meet one of the other varieties of special CCPG - contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Applying for CCPG

  • You are required to apply for a CCPG each academic year.
  • The majority of CCPG recipients obtain eligibility by completing the FAFSA ( or California Dream Act Application ( each academic year.
  • Alternatively, some recipients obtain eligibility by completing an online application through Open CCC Apply (
  • Only one application is required per year (July 1–June 30).
  • You do not have to be enrolled in a specific number of units to be eligible for the CCPG.
  • You have to maintain good academic and progress standing to continue to be eligible for the CCPG.

Extended Opportunity Program & Services (EOPS)

After applying for federal and state aid, you should visit the EOPS Department in Room 8202.

If you are a CCPG recipient, you may qualify for EOPS services. This state-funded program has been established to encourage the enrollment, retention and graduation/university transfer of students affected by language, social, economic and educational disadvantages who otherwise might not attend college. Full-time enrollment is typically required, though contact the EOPS Office for complete eligiblity information.

EOPS offers support services which include textbook assistance, ​dedicated counseling, tutoring, campus tours of four-year universities, a ​laptop loan program and computer lab, transfer assistance to facilitate the successful completion of academic, career and/or personal goals, and more. EOPS faculty and staff assist participating students as they work to achieve their goals. College Promise and AB540 recipients can apply for EOPS.

Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE)

An EOPS supplemental program, Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE) provides additional support to EOPS participants who are Temporary Aid to Needy Family (TANF) recipients with young children to help meet their unique educational needs. In addition to EOPS-provided services, CARE students receive additional support and services.

For program entry requirements or more information, call 650.949.7207 or visit

NextUp (Formerly CAFYES—Cooperating Agencies Foster Youth Educational Support)

The NextUp program offers eligible participants who are current or former foster youth extended high-touch services and resources that support their educational achievement.

For program eligibility requirements or more information about EOPS, CARE and NextUp, call 650.949.7207 or visit

Foothill College Promise Program

First-time, full-time students are eligible to have the cost of tuition and fees waived for their first two years at Foothill College through the Foothill College Promise Program. No separate application is required – just apply for admission and complete the program requirements listed at Additional benefits may apply as well. See for up-to-date information and benefits.

Other Aid

Emergency Loans

If you face an unexpected financial emergency, Foothill offers short-term loans up to $400. To qualify, you must be enrolled at least three-quarters time (9+ units), purchase a Foothill College OwlCard and meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements. These 30-day loans are interest-free. An overdue loan may be subject to additional late fees, registration holds, and assignment to collection services, so communication of any delays in repayment are critical. Emergency loans are administered through the Financial Aid Office. For information, call 650.949.7245.


If you’re interested in working to help defray the cost of attending college, consider a part-time, on-campus position. These jobs pay from $15.37-$24.12/hour. Jobs that are not based on financial need are called “district” employment, and you must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 units to be eligible for these jobs. For information, call 650.949.7245.


Nearly $400,000 in campus and local scholarships are awarded annually to Foothill students. Scholarships, which vary in amount, are considered academic gifts and do not need to be repaid. They’re generally based on academic standing, financial need, potential progress in major fields of study, and/or college or community activities. Scholarships are included as resources for students receiving financial assistance. A listing of current scholarships is available at

Textbook Assistance

To alleviate the cost of textbooks, students eligible for EOPS (Extended Opportunity Program & Services) will receive textbook services. Based on available funding, all textbook costs may be covered. For more information, call the EOPS Office at 650.949.7207.

Financial Aid Answers

The goal of the Foothill Financial Aid Office is to make college accessible to all students. We feel no one should be denied an educational experience because of their financial status. If you have questions or want more information about financial aid options, contact:

Financial Aid Office
(Room 8102 in Building 8100)
Foothill College
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, CA 94022-4599

Textbooks & Supplies

Students are responsible for purchasing textbooks and supplies. The Foothill Bookstore sells all course texts and other items.

Textbook Affordability

Foothill College recognizes that textbook affordability directly impacts student access and successful learning. Textbook information, including price and the International Standard Book Number (ISBN), is included on the Bookstore website. Foothill College makes every reasonable effort to determine that the textbook information listed online is accurate. However, textbook editions and ISBNs are subject to change without notice by either the instructor or publisher. The Foothill College Bookstore is not responsible for subsequent textbook changes if the student purchases textbooks from another source.

Textbook Options

The college offers several options that can reduce the cost of textbooks, including the following choices. As with any consumer purchase, students are responsible for understanding the vendor’s refund/return policies. For more information call 650.949.7283 or email

  • Purchase Used Textbooks: The Foothill College Bookstore provides a large selection of used textbooks at up to 25 percent off the new textbook price. Look for used textbooks both online and in store. Review available titles as well as policies and restrictions on the Bookstore website. Used textbooks may also be available at other retail bookstores;
  • Rent Textbooks: With a valid OwlCard, you can rent textbooks from the Foothill College Bookstore. Review available rental titles, as well as policies and restrictions on the Bookstore website;
  • Swap Books: Buy and sell your used books directly with other students. Listings for the student-run book exchange are free to review. Review available titles, instructions and policies on the Bookstore website;
  • Check Out Textbooks from the Foothill College Library: Many textbooks are available for full-term checkout from the library. Review details and policies at; and
  • Sell Your Books During Book Buyback: The Foothill College Bookstore buys back titles that instructors have requested for the following quarter at up to 50 percent of the new price. Thousands of other titles may be bought back each quarter for wholesale value, up to 40-percent cash back. Buyback operates on a first-come, first-served basis. The quantity being bought back by the Foothill College Bookstore is limited and may be reached at any time. The price paid during buyback is subject to the condition of the book and may change without notice. Review more buyback information, dates and policies on the Bookstore website.

Additional Textbook Resources

Textbooks and course materials are now eligible for a tax credit under the American Opportunity Tax Credit. To learn more about this option, as well as how to claim the tax credit, review the IRS instructions posted at