PSYC 54H: HONORS INSTITUTE SEMINAR IN PSYCHOLOGY
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|1 lecture per week (12 total per quarter)
|ENGL 1A or 1AH or ESLL 26; not open to students with credit in PSYC 34 or 34H.
|Degree & Credit Status:
|Degree-Applicable Credit Course
|Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)
Student Learning Outcomes
- The student will be able to discuss topics in a subfield in psychology with the instructor and other students.
- The student will be able to give an oral presentation explaining and critiquing empirical articles in a subfield in psychology.
The student will be able to:
- Analyze psychological topics in a skillful and thorough manner.
- Discuss psychological topics critically with the instructor and other students.
- Conduct a search for primary sources (e.g., empirical articles).
- Analyze and explain the importance of a particular topic to the instructor and other students.
- Utilize critical analysis in readings of primary sources.
- Readings, discussion, and critical analysis of the various topics
- Use of primary sources and other sources as deemed appropriate
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
Examinations on readings
Method(s) of Instruction
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Mainly primary sources and/or other sources seen as appropriate to topic.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
- Conduct search for primary sources (empirical articles) by accessing web-based databases (e.g., PsyArticles)
- Meet with other group members to conduct group projects
- Read research articles
- Writing assignments:
- Write 1-2 page reflection paper
- Write 5-6 page research paper
- Write critical questions based on weekly readings