HORT 90G: LANDSCAPE DESIGN FORUM
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Effective Term:||Summer 2021|
|Hours:||12 lecture per quarter (12 total per quarter)|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- demonstrate the ability to evaluate residential landscape designs.
- exhibit an understanding of advanced topics in landscape design.
The student will be able to:
A. Identify trends in landscape design.
B. Evaluate landscape designs.
C. Evaluate the installation of landscapes.
D. Identify current topics in the landscape design field.
E. Recognize the cultural implications of landscape design.
F. Identify organizations which support the design industry.
A. Trends in the landscape design industry
1. Search for new design ideas
2. Research topics in sustainability
B. Evaluating landscape designs
1. Use design principles to assess designs
2. Use design elements to assess designs
C. Evaluating landscape installations
D. Current topics pertinent to the landscape design industry
E. Overview of the cultural diversity found in historical and contemporary landscapes
F. Professional organizations and trades serving the landscape design industry
1. Contact the Association of Professional Landscape Designers
2. Research the American Society of Landscape Architects
3. Research the California Landscape Contractors Association
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
Development of an evaluation system for landscape designs
Evaluation of a landscape design or installation
Contact a professional design association
Method(s) of Instruction
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Sokol, David. Hudson Modern: Contemporary Landscaping. 2018.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
A. Reading assignments include reading approximately 40 pages per week from the assigned texts (two hours).
B. Reading two articles per class from professional design journals.