AHS 50B: INTERPROFESSIONAL PATIENT COMPETENCIES
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Hours:||6 lecture per quarter (6 total per quarter)|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade Only|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate the correct way to work with an interpreter in the healthcare environment.
- Students will demonstrate how to perform a mini-cognitive assessment of a geriatric patient.
The student will be able to:
A. Analyze and demonstrate effective communication in the health care setting related specifically to patient safety.
B. Identify issues of cultural, health literacy and language barriers that affect communication in the delivery of health care.
C. Understand the skills and scope of practice of other health care professionals.
D. Apply appropriate modes of treatment or management to assist in the treatment of the pediatric patient.
E. Apply appropriate modes of treatment or management to assist in the treatment of the geriatric patient.
A. Issues related to communication in health care environment
1. Verbal and non-verbal communication
2. Interprofessional communication
3. Patient confidentiality and privacy
4. Effect of communication on patient safety
B. Patient issues related to communication in the health care environment
1. Health literacy
2. Language barriers and using an interpreter
3. Culturally competent health care
C. Scope of Practice of various health care professionals
1. Duties, licensing, skills
2. Working effectively with the health care team
D. Pediatric patients
1. Management and communication with pediatric patients and family
2. Team approach to pediatric patient care
3. Referral and consultation protocols for the pediatric patient
E. Geriatric patients
1. Management and communication with geriatric patients and family
2. Team approach to geriatric patient care
3. Referral and consultation protocols for the geriatric patient
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
A. Online exams, including multiple choice questions based on patient case studies
B. Written assignments:
1. Reflection on the cooperative interprofessional patient case study exercises
a. Pediatric patient
b. Geriatric patient
c. Effective communication practices
Method(s) of Instruction
C. Cooperative interprofessional learning exercises
D. Electronic discussions
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
A. Reading assignments from online materials
B. Written analysis of patient case studies