Virtual Campus Information
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, determination of virtual and face-to-face delivery of student services and instruction for the academic year will be ongoing, as state and county directions prescribe. For additional information on terms and course modalities, visit foothill.edu/virtualcampus.
- Virtual Campus – In a virtual campus, instruction and support services are conducted remotely, using various technologies for synchronous and asynchronous communication and activities. The goal of the virtual campus is to provide instruction and support services while sheltering in place, to maintain the health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff.
- Virtual Instruction - Teaching activities are carried out online using various technologies, including learning management systems, videoconferencing, phone, and email. A virtual learning environment, like a physical one, utilizes effective practices for pacing, scaffolding, collaboration, and interaction. This can be achieved through synchronous as well as asynchronous activities.
- Virtual Academic and Student Support Services – Like instruction, academic and student support services are carried out online using various technologies, including phone, videoconferencing, and email. Just as in a physical campus, the goal is to provide students equitable access to services, through both drop-in and appointment-based methods. Like instruction, this can be achieved through synchronous as well as asynchronous activities.
- Asynchronous Delivery – Instruction or a student service is conducted between faculty/support staff and students outside the constraints of time and place. Students are allowed to choose the time of day or days on which to complete class assignments or engage with support services within a course or service schedule.
- Synchronous Delivery – Instruction or a student service is conducted between the faculty/support staff in real-time, with participants engaging in learning and communication at the same time, according to a set schedule.
Course Footnotes (found in the online schedule)
|W||Online-fully asynchronous (TBA hours)||This is a hybrid class requiring attendance, both on-campus and online. After registering, find out how to log in to the course site: https://foothill.edu/onlinelearning/canvas-info/course-access.html||ENGL 001A01W Tba, Tba, room = online|
|Y||Hybrid – a combination of on-campus scheduled days and times (with a room number will be held on campus) and asynchronous with online work||This is a hybrid class requiring attendance, both on-campus and online. After registering, find out how to log in to the course site: https://foothill.edu/onlinelearning/canvas-info/course-access.html||ENGL 001A01Y MW, 8-9:50am, room = 6505 Tba, Tba, room = online|
|V||Virtual – entirely synchronous live in-person online during scheduled days and times||This is a fully virtual online class. ALL scheduled meetings are live with the instructor (e.g., zoom) defined on specific days and times, as noted in the class schedule.||ENGL 001A01V MW, 8-9:50am, room = online F, 8-8:50am, room = online|
|Z||Online Hybrid – a combination of synchronous live online scheduled days and times and asynchronous online work||This is a fully online class, with SOME scheduled virtual meetings (e.g., by zoom) defined on specific days and times, as noted in the class schedule. The remaining part of the class is online asynchronous, allowing the student to work according to their own schedule to meet the weekly requirements outlined by the course instructor. After registering find out how to log in to the course site: https://foothill.edu/onlinelearning/canvas-info/course-access.html||ENGL 001A01Z MW, 8-9:50am, room=online Tba, Tba, room=online|