Theatre Arts, AA-T
The Associate in Arts in Theatre Arts for Transfer degree prepares students for transfer to California State Universities (CSUs). Students who complete the Associate in Arts in Theatre Arts for Transfer degree will be ensured preferential transfer status to CSUs for theatre arts majors and majors in related disciplines. The Associate in Arts in Theatre Arts for Transfer degree requirements will fulfill the lower division major requirements at many CSUs. Students are advised, however, to meet with a counselor to assess the course requirements for specific CSUs.
The Associate in Arts in Theatre Arts for Transfer degree provides an introduction to theatre history, play analysis, acting and theatre production. Students will develop their abilities to analyze dramatic literature and their theatrical skills in a variety of disciplines both onstage and backstage. They will be able to apply their perceptions as multi-faceted theatre artists to contemporary theatrical practice through their classwork and participation in departmental productions.
Learn more about the program on the Theatre Arts website.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to proceed to further educational opportunities or entry-level workforce employment in their prescribed area of the performing arts with a minimal adjustment period.
- Students will be able to employ skill sets of collaboration relevant to multiple arenas of alliance or teamwork within the performing arts arena.
- Major: 28-32
Associate Degree Requirements
Associate in Arts in Theatre Arts for Transfer requires completion of a minimum of 90 units to include:
- CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)1 (49-58 units) (full certification is required)
- Core and support courses (28-32 units, of which 4-8 units may satisfy the GE requirement)
- Transferable electives necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement
Important Note: Although it is possible to fulfill the requirements for the Associate Degree for Transfer by completing the IGETC for UC pattern, admission to CSU requires completion of an Oral Communication course (IGETC Area 1C; CSU GE Area A-1); therefore, students who plan to transfer to CSU should complete this course as part of their GE or elective units.
Note: All courses pertaining to the major must be completed with a grade of "C" (or "P") or better. In addition, the student must obtain a minimum GPA of 2.0.
Core and Support Courses
|THTR 1||INTRODUCTION TO THEATRE||4|
|or THTR 2A||HISTORY OF DRAMATIC LITERATURE: CLASSICAL TO MOLIERE|
|THTR 20A||ACTING I||4|
|THTR 49A||PERFORMANCE PRODUCTION I||4-6|
|or THTR 45A||TECHNICAL THEATRE IN PRODUCTION I|
|or THTR 47A||INTRODUCTION TO MUSICAL THEATRE PRODUCTION|
|Select four courses from the following:||16-18|
|SCENERY & PROPERTY CONSTRUCTION|
|INTRODUCTION TO FASHION & COSTUME CONSTRUCTION|
|LIGHTING DESIGN & TECHNOLOGY|
|BASIC THEATRICAL MAKEUP|
|PERFORMANCE PRODUCTION I 1|
or THTR 45A
|TECHNICAL THEATRE IN PRODUCTION I|
or THTR 47A
|INTRODUCTION TO MUSICAL THEATRE PRODUCTION|
If not used to satisfy the core course requirement.