Academic Catalog

Transfer Information & Requirements

Articulation Agreements

Articulation is a process to determine whether courses at different colleges or educational systems (such as UC or CSU) are comparable to each other. Foothill has course-to-course and major-preparation articulation agreements with every UC and most CSU campuses, as well as many four-year colleges and universities. This information is available to you through your counselor or via the internet. To review online information, visit these websites:


As the official statewide repository for articulation information, ASSIST ( is the primary site for students to find specific Foothill College courses that fulfill general education and/or major preparation requirements at UC, CSU and AICCU campuses. Listings of course equivalencies help students in selecting appropriate courses to prepare for transfer. Information about exploring majors, selection criteria for impacted and selective programs/majors, transfer credit limitations and important links to UC and CSU websites are also available at It is recommended that students apply ASSIST information to their education plan in conjunction with a Foothill counselor.

Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) & Transfer Admission Agreement (TAA)

A Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG, which means guaranteed admission) and a Transfer Admission Agreement (TAA, which means first consideration for admission, but not a guarantee) is a contract or understanding between a California community college and a 4-year college/university. Students who complete agreed-upon general education courses and major courses with a specified minimum grade point average will either receive guaranteed admission (TAG) or receive first consideration for admission (TAA) to selected colleges and universities pending fulfillment of all admission criteria.

The University of California (UC) system traditionally uses the term TAG while private and out-of-state universities usually use the term TAA. The TAG/TAA usually must be prepared a year ahead of time immediately before applying to the university. This process ensures a smooth transfer to the chosen college or university.

The following UCs offer Transfer Admission Guarantees to all California community colleges: UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Santa Cruz (UCs not mentioned do not offer TAG to any California Community Colleges).

A number of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) also have Transfer Admission Guarantees pending completion of certain academic criteria, including but not limited to an associate degree for transfer. Tuskegee, Grambling, Southern A&M, and Clark Atlanta are a few HBCUs on the list.

Private and out-of-state universities sometimes offer either a TAA or TAG with Foothill and they may vary from year to year. In recent years, Foothill has maintained both with several private colleges/universities, including Santa Clara University (TAA), University of San Francisco (TAA), and Arizona State University (TAG).

Additional TAAs are available through the Foothill College Honors Institute, including the UCLA Transfer Alliance Program, UC Irvine Honors to Honors program, Chapman University, and Loyola Marymount. Students who complete the Foothill honors program are eligible for participation in special transfer programs at more than thirty colleges and universities through the Honors Transfer Council of California

Consult with a counselor to verify eligibility for a TAG/TAA, create a tailored educational plan, and learn up-to-date information. The Transfer Center (Room 8329) has additional information regarding TAG/TAA.

Course Identification Numbering System

The Course Identification Numbering System (C-ID) is a statewide numbering system independent from the course numbers assigned by local California community colleges. C-ID approval signals that participating California colleges and universities have determined that courses offered by other California community colleges are comparable in content and scope to courses offered on their own campuses, regardless of their unique titles or local course number. Students should always review to confirm how each college’s course will be accepted at a particular four-year college or university for transfer credit.

The C-ID numbering system is useful for the student who is attending more than one community college and is applying many of the transferable courses towards preparation for transfer. Because these course requirements may change or be modified and qualified for or deleted from the C-ID database, the student should always check with a counselor to determine how C-ID-designated courses fit into educational plans for transfer.

University of California (UC) Breadth General Education Requirements

The UC has campuses at Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Merced, Riverside, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz.

UC campuses have uniform basic eligibility requirements. Each campus is distinct, however, and not all majors are offered at every campus. Each school and college at a specific UC campus has outlined major requirements that prepare you for the academic discipline.

Foothill’s counselors and Transfer Center staff can advise you regarding the courses acceptable for credit at UC campuses, as well as those that meet the breadth requirements for specific UC colleges and schools. You can also review this information at The Foothill College website includes the Transfer Course Agreement Listing for all Foothill courses that are transferable to all UC campuses. You should explore all undergraduate colleges, schools and majors to determine which campuses will best satisfy your educational needs. We encourage you to discuss the advantages of each major and campus with a counselor.

Preparation for Transfer to Four-Year Colleges & Universities

Each year, hundreds of Foothill College students transfer to four-year colleges or universities after completing lower-division major preparatory and general education requirements. The secret of our students’ success is that they understand which courses are required for the following three transfer elements:

  • Minimum admission eligibility/requirements;
  • Requirements in preparation for the identified major; and
  • Completion of general education/breadth requirements.

Depending upon the transfer institution, the requirements may differ. Counselors are an excellent resource for transfer information. Understanding the minimum requirements ensures that students can transfer in a timely manner to earn their bachelor’s degree without delay.

These requirements are subject to change annually; therefore, the student should meet with a counselor every year. Many of the courses offered at Foothill College are similar to courses offered in the lower division, or first two years, at four-year colleges and universities. Because there is a wide variation between requirements at different universities, it is recommended that you decide on your major and transfer institution as soon as possible. In addition to offering counselors to help you with this decision, Foothill College offers Counseling (CNSL) and Career Life Planning (CRLP) courses to help you explore and evaluate options.

Transfer to the California State University (CSU)

For students interested in transfer to one of the 23 campuses of the CSU, admission eligibility is based on transferable units completed. You are considered a transfer student if you complete college units after the summer following graduation from high school. Admission offices at the 23 CSU campuses use a common set of factors to make admission decisions for both classes of transfer students. All campuses have higher standards for out-of-state students and international students. Some campuses have higher standards for particular majors. Finally, some campuses have higher standards for all applicants. Some campuses give preference in admission to students who reside or have completed an identified number of units at institutions in their local area. For detailed information, visit

Associate Degrees for Transfer to the CSU System

The Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act (Senate Bill 1440, now codified in California Education Code sections 66746-66749) guarantees admission to a California State University (CSU) campus for any community college student who completes an associate degree for transfer, which is an established variation of the associate degree traditionally awarded by the California community colleges. The associate in arts for transfer (A.A.–T.) and associate in science for transfer (A.S.–T.) degrees are intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus.

Students completing the A.A.–T. or A.S.–T. degree program are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. In order to earn an A.A.–T. or A.S.–T. degree, students must complete a minimum of 90 required quarter units of CSU-transferable coursework (including general education and major preparation) with a minimum GPA of 2.0. Students transferring to a CSU campus in a major that accepts the A.A.–T. or A.S.–T. degree will be required to complete no more than 60 semester/90 quarter units after transfer to earn the bachelor’s degree (unless the major is a designated to be a high-unit major).

Note: The A.A.–T. or A.S.–T. degree may not be the best option for students who intend to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to university or college that is not part of the CSU system. Students who plan to complete the A.A.–T. or A.S.–T. degree are strongly encouraged to meet early and often with a counselor for more information on university admission and transfer requirements. Consult a counselor for more information.

Lower-Division Transfer Admission

Many CSU campuses do not accept lower-division transfers. Be sure to check with the campus if you are considering transfer as a lower-division student. Students who have completed fewer than 60 transferable semester units (90 quarter units) are considered lower-division transfer students. You are eligible for admissions consideration as a lower-division transfer if you:

  • Have a college grade-point average of 2.0 or better in all transferable college units completed;
  • Are in good standing at the last college or university attended; i.e., you are eligible to re-enroll;
  • Meet the admission requirements for a first-time freshman or have successfully completed the necessary courses to make up the deficiencies you had in high school if you did not complete the 15-unit pattern of college preparatory subjects; and
  • Meet the eligibility index required of a freshman.

Upper-Division Transfer Admission

Students who have completed 60 or more transferable semester units (90 quarter units) are considered upper-division transfer students. You are eligible for admission if you:

  • Have an overall college grade-point average of 2.0 or better (2.4 for California nonresidents) in all transferable college units attempted;
  • Are in good standing at the last college or university attended; i.e., you are eligible to re-enroll; and
  • Prior to transfer, you complete at least 30 semester units (45 quarter units) of general education coursework with a grade of C or better. The 30 (45) units must include all of the general education requirements in English composition, oral communication, critical thinking and at least one course of 3 semester units (4 quarter units) in college-level mathematics.

Major Requirements

Students are encouraged to complete as many lower-division major preparatory requirements as possible prior to transfer. Many majors, especially in highly selective programs, have supplemental requirements that must be met prior to transfer. Consult with a counselor for additional information. These requirements may also be viewed at Some oversubscribed programs may require supplemental courses or information for admission.

Transfer to the University of California (UC)

The UC campuses at Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Merced, Riverside, San Diego, Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz all share the same minimum admission requirements; however, each campus is unique. The academic programs offered, the size of the student body and the location are just a few of the factors that contribute to the individual character of each campus. Entrance requirements may vary as well. Although some campuses are able to admit all eligible transfer applicants, others can accommodate only a limited number of transfer students. Academic preparation and grade-point average (GPA) are used by the competitive campuses and programs in the selection process. Criteria vary from year to year and from campus to campus according to the number and qualifications of applicants to each campus and program. For more information about campuses, consult the university general catalogs available online or in the Foothill College Transfer Center (Room 8329). Complete information on the UC may be found at

The UC will award graduation credit for up to 105 lower-division quarter units of transferable coursework from a community college. Courses in excess of 105 quarter units will receive subject credit and may be used to satisfy university subject requirements. There is no limit, however, on the number of units used to determine a student’s GPA, so all UC-transferable units will apply.

Minimum Admission Requirements for Transfer Applicants Who are California Residents

The UC considers you a transfer applicant if you enrolled in a regular session at a college or university after high school, not including summer session. (You can’t disregard your college record and apply as a freshman.) There are three ways to meet the university’s minimum admission requirements for transfer students. The path you use depends on the degree to which you satisfied UC’s minimum eligibility requirements for freshmen at the time you graduated from high school.

  • If you were eligible for admission to the university when you graduated from high school—meaning you satisfied the subject, scholarship and examination requirements, or were identified by the university during your senior year in high school as eligible in the local context—you are eligible to transfer if you have a 2.0 GPA in your transferable college coursework.
  • If you met the scholarship requirements in high school but did not satisfy the 15-course subject requirement, you must take transferable college courses in the missing subjects, earn a grade of C or better in each required course, and maintain a 2.0 GPA in all transferable coursework to be eligible for transfer.
  • If you were not eligible for admission to the university when you graduated from high school because you did not meet the scholarship requirement, you must:
  1. Complete 90 quarter units/60 semester units of transferable college credit with at least a 2.4 GPA (2.8 for nonresidents). No more than 21 quarter/14 semester units may be taken as Pass/No Pass, and
  2.  Complete the following seven transferable college courses, earning a grade of C or better in each course:
  •  Two courses in English composition;
  •  One course in mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning;
  •  Four courses chosen from at least two of these subject areas: arts and humanities, social and behavioral sciences, and physical and biological sciences; and
  •  Each course must be worth at least 4–5 quarter/3 semester units.

For a list of UC-transferable courses and those that specifically meet the seven-course pattern described above, visit

Eligibility for transfer does not guarantee admission. To present a competitive application, students are encouraged to exceed minimum requirements.


The minimum admission requirements for nonresidents are very similar to those for residents. If you are not a California resident, consult with the admissions office at the university campus(es) that you’re interested in for specific admission requirements. In all cases, however, nonresidents must have a grade-point average of 2.8 or higher in all transferable college coursework.

Be aware that many campuses use criteria that exceed these minimum requirements to select students for admission. For nonresident admission information, you are advised to consult frequently with a counselor and/or read university catalogs and university websites or contact the admissions office at the appropriate university.

Priority Application Filing Period

Students are encouraged to apply during the following application periods:

Application Accepted For CSU UC
Fall 10/1 - 11/30 11/1 - 11/30
Winter 6/1 - 6/30 7/1 - 7/31
Spring 8/1 - 8/31 7/1 - 7/31
Summer 2/1 - 2/28 N/A

While all campuses accept students for fall admission, many do not accept for spring or winter. Consult a counselor for details about a specific campus.