SPAN 110: ELEMENTARY SPANISH CONVERSATION I
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Hours:||3 lecture per week (36 total per quarter)|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- The students will be able to sustain a short basic conversation in which they introduce themselves, describe themselves and exchange personal information such as age, phone numbers, etc.
- The students will be able to sustain short conversations with accurate pronunciation.
The student will be able to:
A. use standard Spanish pronunciation with reasonable accuracy.
B. demonstrate elementary Spanish skills in listening and speaking.
C. learn how to introduce themselves, describe people and things.
D. develop a working knowledge of simple Spanish grammatical structures to express future plans.
E. develop a working knowledge of simple Spanish grammatical structures to express likes and dislikes.
F. comprehend simple spoken phrases and respond to commonly asked questions.
A. Use standard Spanish pronunciation with reasonable accuracy
1. Practice of vowels, diphthongs, consonants
B. Demonstrate elementary Spanish skills in listening and speaking
1. Small conversation group exercises and activities
2. Listening to short videos and recordings
3. Practice in listening comprehension with emphasis on the communicative aspects of language
C. Learn how to introduce themselves, describe people and things
1. Use of the verb "ser" to describe individuals and things
2. Use of adjectives to describe persons, places, and objects
3. Vocabulary about numbers, descriptive adjectives, days of the week/months of the year, clothing, daily routine (verbs)
D. Develop a working knowledge of simple Spanish grammatical structures to express future plans
1. Use of the verb "ir" + "a" + inf. to express future plans
2. Use of the verb "ir" + place to express destination and movement
E. Develop a working knowledge of simple Spanish grammatical structures to express likes and dislikes
1. Use of the verb "gustar" to express likes and dislikes
F. Comprehend simple spoken phrases and respond to commonly asked questions
1. Use of the verb "estar" to describe physical and emotional states
2. Use of numbers from 0-1,000,000
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
A. Oral presentations
B. Listening comprehension activities/tests
C. Short written quizzes
Method(s) of Instruction
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Blanco, Donle. Vistas. Introduccion a la lengua espanola. 7th ed. Vista Higher Learning, 2019.
Andrade, Muñoz. Tu mundo. 2nd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2019.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
A. Short videos and listening/comprehension activities.
B. Short written reports of news or videoclips.