RSPT 53A: INTRODUCTION TO RESPIRATORY THERAPY PHARMACOLOGY
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Hours:||2 lecture per week (24 total per quarter)|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade Only|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Describe the mechanism of bronchospasm and differentiate the pharmacologic effects of sympathomimetic bronchodilators, parasympatholytics, xanthine bronchodilators, mucus-controlling agents, surface-active agents, cold and cough agents, corticosteroids, and mediator antagonists.
- Describe the principles of drug action.
The student will be able to:
A. calculate drug dosages from prepared-strength liquids.
B. solve percentage and solution problems.
C. describe the principles of drug action.
D. compare and contrast the autonomic effects in the cardiopulmonary system.
E. describe the mechanism of bronchospasm.
F. differentiate the pharmacologic effects of sympathomimetic bronchodilators, parasympatholytics, xanthine bronchodilators, mucus-controlling agents, surface-active agents, cold and cough agents, corticosteroids, and mediator antagonists.
G. based upon patient's condition, select the appropriate respiratory pharmacologic agent.
A. drug dosage calculations
3. nebulization duration
B. percentage and solution problems
1. by body weight
2. by duration
3. for reconstituted drugs
C. principles of drug action
1. general principles
2. principles related to respiratory therapy drugs, especially nebulized drugs
D. autonomic effects in the cardiopulmonary system
1. sympathetic nervous system
2. parasympathetic nervous system
E. the mechanism of bronchospasm
1. constriction of the smooth bronchial muscles
2. airway inflammation
F. bronchodilators and specialized agents
4. mucus controlling agents
5. surface active agents
6. cold and cough agents
8. mediator antagonists
G. selection of the appropriate respiratory pharmacologic agent
1. rescue drugs
2. maintenance drugs
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
C. Final examination
D. Problem solving exercises
Method(s) of Instruction
C. Group exercises
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Gardenhire. Rau's Respiratory Care Pharmacology. 9th ed. Chicago: Year Book Medical Publishers, Inc., 2016. ISBN: 978-0323299688
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
A. Assigned reading from textbook, approximately one chapter per week.