PHT 200L: PHARMACY TECHNICIAN AS A CAREER
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Effective Term:||Summer 2021|
|Hours:||1 lecture per week (12 total per quarter)|
|Advisory:||Demonstrated proficiency in English by placement via multiple measures OR through an equivalent placement process OR completion of ESLL 125 & ESLL 249.|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Non-Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- State the requirements for admission,technical standards, schedule,legal requirements of the Pharmacy Technician Program and federal and state laws.
- Evaluate the pros and cons of the role of the pharmacy technician in providing health care utilizing interviews during a pharmacy visitation.
The student will be able to:
A. Describe the Foothill College Pharmacy Technology curriculum.
B. State the requirements and explain the application process for the Foothill College Pharmacy Technician Program.
C. Describe orally and in writing the role of the pharmacy technician in various health care settings.
D. Discuss the technical standards and demands and role of the pharmacy technician.
E. Describe in writing the state requirements for registration.
F. Orally present the results of a pharmacy visitation and and what is required of a pharmacy technician from an expert in the profession.
A. Foothill Pharmacy Technician Program
1. ASHP curriculum
a. Course requirements
2) Program coursework
a) Lecture courses
b) Lab courses
b. Grading policies
2. Financial requirements
3. Transportation requirements
5. Vaccination requirements for health career professions
6. Background check requirements
B. Foothill College Pharmacy Technician admission criteria
1. Application process
C. Role of the pharmacy technician in various health care settings
1. Outpatient/retail setting
2. Inpatient/hospital setting
3. Specialized pharmacy settings
b. Skilled nursing facilities
c. Compounding pharmacy
d. Mail order pharmacy
D. Standards of the pharmacy technician profession
1. Desirable characteristics of a pharmacy technician
a. Personality traits
b. Professional behavioral requirements and expectations
2. Technical standards
3. Job responsibilities and duties
4. Pharmacy health care ethics
5. Wages/salary range
a. Local and surrounding wages
b. Out of state
c. Wage differential based on pharmacy setting
6. Job opportunities
a. Levels of job satisfaction
b. Other pharmacy tech-related job opportunities
E. Requirements for California State License
1. Specific state registration requirements
2. PTCE/ExCPT national pharmacy technician certification testing
F. Pharmacy visitation
1. Interview with pharmacy staff
a. Pharmacy technician
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
Written research paper
Class discussion participation
Method(s) of Instruction
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
A. Review of reading packet, assigned online references.
B. Individual reports (written and oral), based on research and field trip interviews at pharmacies.