PHED 40C: VOLLEYBALL: GAME SKILLS
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|3 laboratory per week (36 total per quarter)
|This course is included in the Team Sports family of activity courses.
|Degree & Credit Status:
|Degree-Applicable Credit Course
|Area VII: Lifelong Learning
|Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)
Student Learning Outcomes
- A successful student will be able to perform and compete in high level games to improve games skills.
- A successful student will be able to demonstrate skills learned through class practice and playing the game of volleyball that promote volleyball as a lifetime activity.
The student will be able to:
- Develop skills needed to participate in volleyball as a lifetime activity
- Demonstrate the skills used in volleyball through class practice and playing the game of volleyball
- Learn the terminology, rules, equipment, facilities, and strategies needed to participate in volleyball
- Learn advanced strategies to incorporate within a game
- Participate in competitive games and tournament style play
- Game play: tournament formats, strategies in game play in competitive environment
- Advanced strategies for game play: offenses, defenses
- Team transitions: offense, defense
- Advanced rules to team play: libero, substitutions
- Competition: elements of good competition
Lab content will include but is not limited to:
- Participating in drills and activities to promote skill development
- Competing with team to advance game play
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
2. When taught as an online distance learning or hybrid section, students and faculty need ongoing and continuous internet and email access.
Method(s) of Evaluation
Individual and team competition
Method(s) of Instruction
Students will participate in drills (activities) to promote skill development
Students will compete on teams to advance game play
Students will evaluate self and peers on skills and team play
Students will promote team play—build a team culture
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
. NCAA Women's Volleyball Rules and Interpretations 2020-2021. .
The most recent edition of the rules and interpretations will be used; annual updates are available online at https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2021/2/9/playingrules.aspx
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
- Optional reading and writing assignments will be assigned to deepen the understanding of the game of volleyball and promote team play