PHED 40A: INTERMEDIATE VOLLEYBALL
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|3 laboratory per week (36 total per quarter)
|This course is included in the Team Sports family of activity courses.
|Degree & Credit Status:
|Degree-Applicable Credit Course
|Area VII: Lifelong Learning
|Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)
Student Learning Outcomes
- A successful student will be able to demonstrate and perform the intermediate skills and fundamentals of the game of volleyball.
- A successful student should increase their knowledge of the intermediate skills of game play with increasing knowledge of offensive and defensive strategies.
The student will be able to:
- Increase knowledge of the intermediate volleyball skills and fundamentals
- Comprehend intermediate strategies of the game through game play
- Increase knowledge of the intermediate level offensive/defensive strategies
- Comprehend the use of volleyball as a life long leisure activity
- Apply the basic rules of play
- Rules of the game of volleyball
- Specific to high school, college, and international
- Safety within the game of volleyball
- Net set-up
- Cross training
- Agility and plyometrics
- Refine and define
- Peer critique
- Drills that challenge and promote increased level of competence
- Intermediate skills
- Team play
- Offense: 5-1, 6-2
- Defense: perimeter, rotation, middle up
- History of game
- Rule changes within history
- Drills/activities related to the sport of volleyball
- Competitive games to improve skills
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
2. Kneepads recommended.
3. When taught as an online distance learning or hybrid section, students and faculty need ongoing and continuous internet and email access.
Method(s) of Evaluation
Method(s) of Instruction
Students will analyze their own skill
Students will assess their skill compared to others in competitive games of volleyball
Students will critique performance with video
Students will complete a written quiz
Students will participate in direct instruction to further skills
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
. NCAA Women's Volleyball Rules and Interpretations 2020-2021. .
The most recent edition of the rules and interpretations will be used; annual updates are available online at https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2021/2/9/playingrules.aspx
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
- Reading and writing assignments as recommended by instructor from journals and related topics to sport of volleyball