PHED 33: BEGINNING TABLE TENNIS
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Effective Term:||Summer 2023|
|Hours:||3 laboratory per week (36 total per quarter)|
|Advisory:||This course is included in the Individual Sports family of activity courses.|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Foothill GE:||Area VII: Lifelong Learning|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate the basic fundamentals of table tennis play.
- Preform with an increasing degree of proficiency the offensive and defensive skills of table tennis.
The student will be able to:
- Identify the equipment, rules, and etiquette of table tennis
- Practice basic fundamental skills
- Demonstrate foundations of basic rallying
- Demonstrate foundations of basic footwork and grips
- Demonstrate basic forehand and backhand strokes
- Terminology, equipment, and rules of table tennis
- Racquets and types of balls
- Dimensions—type of play
- Etiquette and general play
- Basic skills
- Arm and wrist positioning
- Forehand and backhand strokes
- Spin shots
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
2. When taught as an online distance learning or hybrid section, students and faculty need ongoing and continuous internet and email access. Students may need to secure their own access to equipment specific to the sport.
Method(s) of Evaluation
Individual and team competitions
Critical thinking in competitive game play
Demonstration of rules and etiquette of table tennis
Participation and demonstration of game fundamentals
Method(s) of Instruction
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Hodges, Larry. More Table Tennis Tips. 2017.
Although this text is older than the suggested "5 years or newer" standard, it remains a seminal text in this area of study.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
- Optional writing exercises based on recommended reading