PHED 24D: ADVANCED GOLF COURSE PLAY
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Hours:||6 laboratory per week (72 total per quarter)|
|Advisory:||This course is included in the Individual Sports family of activity courses.|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Foothill GE:||Area VII: Lifelong Learning|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate with increasing degree of proficiency advanced golf skills including drive, bunker shots and putting.
- Demonstrate with increasing proficiency and improvement in scoring in golf course play
The student will be able to:
A. Develop advanced skills for demonstrating golf swing.
B. Develop the knowledge and skills to play a regulation golf course.
C. Understand the rules of golf and the etiquette involved with playing a golf course.
D. Demonstrate an improvement in scoring through club selection, course management and practice skills.
A. Develop advanced skills and execution of the golf swing
1. Proper swing path, club head control
2. Controlling trajectory and ball flight
3. Shaping and curving of the golf ball
B. Development and improvement of short game
1. Putting drills
2. Chipping and pitching drills
3. Bunker techniques
C. Improvement of golf course play skills
1. Preparing for the round
2. Stress reduction and mental game
3. Club selection
4. Shot visualization and execution
1. Pace of play
2. Common courtesies to fellow golfers
3. Replace divots and repair ball marks
4. Continuous putting
1. Discussion of current equipment and golf trends
2. Individualizing golf equipment
3. Explanation and functions of various clubs and balls
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
B. When taught as an online distance learning or hybrid section, students and faculty need ongoing and continuous internet and email access.
Method(s) of Evaluation
A. Physical skills and techniques will be assessed by direct instructor observation
B. Participation at required golf course sessions
C. On course etiquette and adherence to the rules of golf
Method(s) of Instruction
Discussion, laboratory, demonstration.
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Penick, Harvey. Harvey Penick's Little Red Book. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2013.
R&A and USGA Rules of Golf, 2016. Note: The most recent edition of the rules will be used; annual updates are available online at www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub.html
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
Optional reading activities to include monthly golf publications (e.g., Golf Digest).