HORT 90D: HERBS: IDENTIFICATION, USE & FOLKLORE
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Effective Term:||Summer 2022|
|Hours:||12 lecture per quarter (12 total per quarter)|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Describe the history of herbs used for cultural activities.
- Identify common herbs used for culinary, medicinal, spiritual and decorative purposes.
The student will be able to:
- Identify common herbs used in the landscape.
- List uses of herbs.
- Discuss historic and potential future uses of herbs in our culture.
- Describe the use of herbs in different cultures over time.
- Identification of herbs
- Growth habits
- Environmental requirements and cultivation
- Introduction to the uses for herbs
- How herbs have been used, and may be used in our culture
- Historic uses of herbs
- Future potential uses of specialized herb
- Cultural applications of herbs around the world
- Herb uses in other cultures
- Societal implications of using or promoting the use of herbs
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
2. When taught online, on-going access to computer with email and internet access.
Method(s) of Evaluation
Field test on herbs (identification, growth habits, etc.)
Documented active participation which furthers student knowledge of herbs and their uses
Method(s) of Instruction
Field observation of plants
Lectures on plant characteristics
Discussions regarding use and care of plants
Assigned reading activities
An assignment to make a product with herbs
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Pursell, J.J.. The Herbal Apothecary. 2015.
Adams, James. Landscaping with Herbs. 2009.
These texts are considered seminal even though they are over five years old.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
Typical reading assignments will include researching up to 20 plant species per week (approximately 30 pages of reading) in representative text and similar text books.