HORT 60L: VECTORWORKS 3-D
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Hours:||2 lecture, 3 laboratory per week (60 total per quarter)|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade Only|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Prepare a three-dimensional drawing of a site.
- Render a three-dimensional drawing of a site.
The student will be able to:
A. Review 2-D Vectorworks basics.
B. Prepare 3-D massing models.
C. Fabricate and render 3-D massing models.
D. Describe 3-D modeling.
E. Create 3-D models from 2-D data.
F. Render 3-D models.
G. Print and export 3-D models.
A. Review of 2-D Vectorworks basics.
1. Basic drawing screen.
2. Basic 2-D drawing commands.
3. 2-D editing.
4. Drawing setup.
B. Introduction to 3-D massing models.
1. Determination of proper model technique to draw.
2. Drawing with massing model commands.
3. Commands for rendering massing model sites.
C. Fabrication and rendering of 3-D massing models.
1. Creating a massing model.
2. Rendering a massing model.
D. Introduction to 3-D modeling.
1. Introduction to 3-D modeling commands.
2. Introduction to 3-D modeling editing.
3. Review of 3-D modeling setup.
E. Creation of 3-D models from 2-D data.
1. Establishing base elevations of model.
2. Creating vertical elements of model.
3. Inserting site elements into model.
F. Rendering of 3-D models.
1. Creating wireframe of model.
2. Selecting proper rendering mode.
3. Applying textures to surfaces.
4. Selecting shading and lighting options.
G. Printing and exporting 3-D models.
1. Saving models.
2. Exporting versions of model.
a. dwg extension.
b. pdf extension.
c. jpeg extension.
3. Printing models.
a. Small scale printing.
b. Large format printing.
A. Practice drawing with CADD software.
B. Completing assigned projects.
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
B. Classroom with current Vectorworks software installed.
C. Lab with large format paper printing capability.
Method(s) of Evaluation
A. Creating drawings using Vectorworks software.
B. Completing assignments and tasks using Vectorworks software.
C. Exporting and printing drawings.
D. Writing comparative summary of available 3-D CADD software.
Method(s) of Instruction
A. Listening to lecture by instructor.
B. Watching demonstration of software by instructor.
C. Practicing drawing using software.
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Pickup, Johnathan. Vectorworks Landmark Tutorial Manual. 4th ed. Munich, Germany: Nemetschek Software, 2013.
Although this text is older than the suggested "5 years or newer" standard, it remains a seminal text in this area of study.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
A. Reading 20-30 pages from assigned text weekly.
B. Reading class notes supplied from instructor weekly.
C. Researching 3-D CADD software.
D. Writing comparisons of 3-D CADD software.