HORT 60G: LANDSCAPE DESIGN: INTERMEDIATE COMPUTER APPLICATIONS
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Hours:||2 lecture, 3 laboratory per week (60 total per quarter)|
|Advisory:||HORT 40 and 45 strongly recommended; CADD experience or training and knowledge of computer operation strongly recommended.|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade Only|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Export drawings to printers and external files.
- Produce three-dimensional renderings of designs.
The student will be able to:
A. Understand basic and advanced options available in CADD software.
B. Create a drawing by importing a base, PDF, image or other drawing from a remote source and using as a base for a new drawing.
C. Create viewports and sheet layers from existing drawings.
D. Use and modify the plant database option of CADD software.
E. Create rendered 3-D drawings.
A. Drawing using advanced tools and techniques (Lec and Lab)
1. Keyboard shortcuts for commands
2. Advanced commands
3. Landmark tools
4. Customizing selection
5. Customizing toolbars
B. Importing, exporting, printing (Lec and Lab)
1. Importing DWG, PDF, JPEG, and similar graphic files
2. Preparing drawing for print formats
3. Rescaling drawings to match Vectorworks scales
4. Inserting photos into drawings
C. Enhancing presentations
1. Creating and inserting viewports
2. Creating sheet layers
D. Utilizing and developing the plant database software (Lec and Lab)
1. Expanding plant database
2. Importing plant data
E. Three-dimensional drawing (Lec and Lab)
1. Setup 3-D drawings
2. Render 3-D drawings
4. Manipulate 3-D rendering using software
5. Produce final rendered 3-D print of design
A. Preparing drawings using CADD.
1. Setup drawing sheets
2. Establish scale and sheet size
3. Set up workspace with necessary commands and drawing tools
4. Set up layers and classes
5. Import base map
6. Draw design based on classroom exercise
B. Editing drawings using CADD.
1. Correct errors
2. Prepare viewports
3. Prepare sheet layers for printing
4. Move symbols and drawing elements from layer to layer
5. Move symbols and drawing elements from class to class
6. Edit hatches and textures
C. Printing drawings using CADD.
1. Prepare drawing for export to PDF format
2. Prepare drawing for printing on large format printer
3. Adjust sheet layers for printing varying versions of drawing
4. Adjust scales and sheet sizes for printing on small paper printers
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
A. Participation through attendance.
B. Exercises and projects.
C. Final project.
Method(s) of Instruction
C. Lab activities.
D. Assigned reading activities.
E. Self-guided research.
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Slatter, Tamslin. Residential Garden Design with Vectorworks. 6th ed. Columbia, MD: Nemetshek North America, 2014.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
A. Reading assignments will include reading approximately 5 to 10 pages per week from classroom notes and ETUDES site.
B. Writing assignments include:
1. Preparing class drawing assignments.
C. Lectures will address reading topics and experiences of instructor. Classroom discussion and demonstrations in support of lecture topics will be provided.