HORT 54D: LANDSCAPE CONSTRUCTION: APPLIED PRACTICES
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Effective Term:||Summer 2022|
|Hours:||1 lecture, 3 laboratory per week (48 total per quarter)|
|Advisory:||HORT 54A strongly recommended.|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade Only|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Construct specialized and advanced landscape projects.
- Operate motorized landscape equipment.
The student will be able to:
- Demonstrate, through demonstration and project implementation, the safe construction of specialized and advanced landscape projects.
- Demonstrate knowledge of specialized and advanced landscape construction practices, including materials, hardware, and implementation.
- Operate motorized equipment such as tractors, backhoes, and appurtenant equipment used in landscape construction practices.
- Exhibit an understanding of different landscape construction practices around the world.
- Review of landscape construction practices (Lec and Lab)
- Equipment and personal safety
- Instruction in and execution and management of landscape practices using masonry, concrete, carpentry, and hardware on advanced landscape projects (may include a variety of specialized projects) (Lec and Lab)
- Wall construction
- Concrete pouring
- Carpentry and wood construction
- Specialty construction
- Project planning
- Material estimation
- Project scheduling
- Construction supervision
- Use of motorized equipment (motorized carts, backhoe, and tractor with appurtenant attachments, etc.) (Lab)
- Skidsteer operation
- Grading a site
- Site demolition equipment including sod cutter and jackhammer
- Power tool operation
- International landscape construction practices discussion (Lec)
- Construction of paved areas
- Concrete pouring
- Brick paving
- Stone paving
- Construction of wood structures
- Deck construction
- Fence construction
- Construction of landscape walls
- Installation of segmental concrete wall units
- Masonry wall construction
- Installation of landscape drainage
- Installation of french drains
- Installation of minor storm sewer projects
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
2. Students provide appropriate work boots and clothing for fieldwork, leather gloves, tool belt, hammer, tape measure, screwdrivers, torpedo level, pliers, utility knife, face mask, ear plugs, and architectural scale.
3. When taught online, on-going access to computer with email and internet access.
Method(s) of Evaluation
Practicums in the following areas:
1. Completion of specialized and advanced landscape construction projects
2. Operation of motorized equipment such as tractors and backhoes
Method(s) of Instruction
Assigned reading activities
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Huston, James R.. How to Price Landscape and Irrigation Projects. 2014.
This text is a seminal text in the landscape construction industry.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
- Reading assignments will include reading approximately 20-30 pages per week from assigned text. Supplemental reading will be provided in hand-out form or through reference to online resources
- Writing assignments include:
- Instructions for completing construction tasks
- Lectures will address reading topics and experiences of instructor. Classroom discussion and demonstrations in support of lecture topics will be provided
- Guest speakers from industry will provide supplemental lecture and demonstration