HORT 401C: LANDSCAPE CERTIFICATION: HARDSCAPE INSTALLATION
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Hours:||12 lecture per quarter (12 total per quarter)|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Non-Degree-Applicable Non-Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Non-Credit Course (Receives no Grade)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Properly install landscape paving materials
- Safely use landscape construction tools.
The student will be able to:
A. Read a hardscape plan.
B. Perform material quantity math.
C. Operate a survey instrument.
D. Grade a site for drainage.
E. Install pavers.
F. Operate landscape equipment.
A. Hardscape plan reading.
1. Identifying plan symbols.
2. Identifying plan scale and orientation.
3. Determining locations of proposed hardscape.
4. Determining materials required for proposed hardscape.
B. Material quantity math.
1. Calculating plan linear dimensions.
2. Calculating perimeter dimensions.
3. Calculating area measurements.
4. Calculating volume measurements.
C. Survey instrument operation.
1. Setting up instrument.
2. Locating benchmark.
3. Taking foresites and setting elevation stakes.
D. Grading a site for drainage.
1. Identifying topography for site.
2. Recognizing site areas that require cut or fill.
E. Paver installation.
1. Outlining the steps for paver installation.
2. Demonstrating the procedure for preparing paver base.
3. Demonstrating the procedure for installing pavers.
F. Equipment operation.
1. Describe appropriate equipment for a job.
2. Describe use of equipment to prepare a site.
3. Demonstrate use of equipment to install a project.
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
B. Outdoor area with open space to view equipment operation.
C. Horticulture equipment and vehicles.
Method(s) of Evaluation
A. Objective written exams.
B. Descriptions of field practices.
C. Written reports on horticultural topics.
Method(s) of Instruction
A. Lecture from instructor.
B. Lecture from guest speakers.
C. Observe participatory demonstrations.
D. Discussion with groups and students in class.
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Landscape Training Manual for Installation. Professional Landcare Network (PLANET), 2017.
Study manual required for training courses.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
A. Reading 10-25 pages per week from assigned text.
B. Reading handouts and website material.
C. Web and library research.
D. Writing specifications for hardscape installation.