HIST 54H: HONORS INSTITUTE SEMINAR IN HISTORY
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Effective Term:||Fall 2020|
|Hours:||1 lecture per week (12 total per quarter)|
|Advisory:||Not open to students with credit in HIST 34 or 34H.|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Discuss the topic critically with instructor and other students
- Explain the importance of the topic to the discipline
- Improve research skills
The student will be able to:
A. analyze the topic in a skillful and thorough manner.
B. discuss the topic critically with instructor and other students, when applicable.
C. explain the importance of the topic to the discipline.
D. improve research and/or information gathering assessment ability.
E. use primary and secondary material to analyze the chosen topic.
A. Readings, discussion, and critical analysis of the various topics.
B. Use of primary and secondary sources and other important monographs as appropriate.
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
Evaluation of class participation and examinations of readings. Research paper or other significant writing assignments.
Method(s) of Instruction
Taught as a seminar: lecture, discussion, cooperative learning exercises, oral presentations.
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
As appropriate to topic.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
1. Read primary and secondary materials.
1. Write minimum 10 page research paper on assigned topic.
2. Write critical questions based on weekly readings.
1. Conduct search for primary sources (empirical articles) by accessing web-based databases and other resources.
2. Meet with other group members to conduct group projects as applicable.