GID 78: RAPID WEBSITE DEVELOPMENT
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Effective Term:||Summer 2022|
|Hours:||3 lecture, 3 laboratory per week (72 total per quarter)|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate an understanding of approriate applications of rapid website development technologies and their implementations for website development.
- Create a website that effectively demonstrates proficiency with Drupal and WordPress for class critique and portfolio presentation.
The student will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of rapid website development using blogging and content management applications, e.g., WordPress and Drupal, and when to deploy these technologies versus traditional websites.
- create a functional website using WordPress, including editable pages, integration of content and RSS, and current web blogging technology.
- create a website that effectively demonstrates proficiency with Drupal utilizing content management and customizable modules.
- compare and contrast WordPress and Drupal options for a potential client.
- Rapid website development overview
- Conceptual thinking about content deployment and management, usability, and user interaction
- Theory and application of rapid web deployment technologies, from customizable templates to modules
- Web technology for use by individuals and teams
- Web 2.0 applications and user interaction/requirements
- Create a website using WordPress
- Install and configure WordPress on the host server manually (FTP) or using hosted modules
- WordPress architecture
- Themes and widgets
- WordPress plug-ins
- Customization using HTML/CSS
- Produce a working multi-page WordPress website
- Create a functional website using Drupal
- Install and configure Drupal on the host server manually (FTP) or using hosted modules
- Drupal architecture
- Core modules
- Core themes
- Customization using HTML/CSS
- Produce a working multi-page Drupal website
- Compare and contrast WordPress and Drupal
- Storyboard website
- Install WordPress
- Tour administration screens
- Set up site
- Customize site using themes, widgets, and plugins
- Install Drupal
- Drupal architecture/admin tour
- Install modules and themes
- Working with content/customization
- Presentation of WordPress/Drupal for a client
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
Completed student projects
Participation in class critiques
Method(s) of Instruction
Lectures on technical and conceptual concepts in rapid website design and development
Discussion and critique of projects and representative media
Group discussions that address the creative problem solving process and technical concepts
Demonstration of rapid website design and development techniques
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Burge, Stephen. WordPress Explained. 2017.
Burge, Stephen. Drupal 8 Explained. 2017.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
- Example reading assignment: Read Checkpoint #5 Permalinks
- Example writing assignment: Correctly format a WordPress page that includes permalinks