DMS 60D: CRITIQUE & PATHOLOGY IV
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|2 lecture per week (24 total per quarter)
|Degree & Credit Status:
|Degree-Applicable Credit Course
|Letter Grade Only
Student Learning Outcomes
- Recognize normal and abnormal anatomical structures.
- List the differential diagnosis that is responsible for sonographic changes.
The student will be able to:
A. demonstrate listening, writing, and speaking communication skills and use of sonographic nomenclature through performance.
B. define ethical and professional values related to sonography and medicine and its impact on patient/workers from various cultures, gender, and age populations.
C. define the methodology of acquiring and recognizing quality patient examination form suboptimal cases, including the recognition of artifacts.
D. prepare and present a case study using the criteria provided to conform to quality case studies.
A. Communication characteristics for listening, verbal, and written skills
1. listen to patient's history and write findings using medical nomenclature
2. interview patients and prepare written reports
B. Communication using professional specific nomenclature
1. applying described techniques to patients from diverse cultural, emotional, and socioeconomic status with sensitivity to their rights and comforts and the ethical rationale
C. Image quality recognition for interpretation, presentation, and technical quality
1. assessing and obtaining pertinent clinical information
2. components of the clinical report
3. assessing relevant from non-relevant data
4. produce quality studies for the physician to interpret
5. contrast diagnostic quality of examinations from suboptimal studies
6. artifacts - determine useful artifacts from other types of artifacts
D. Components of a case review and presentation including research
1. internet research to develop the case review and presentation
2. internet research for the differential diagnosis
E. All with an emphasis on obstetrical subjects
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
B. When taught via Foothill Global Access, on-going access to computer with email software and hardware; email address.
Method(s) of Evaluation
A. Written quizzes
B. Case presentations
C. Comprehensive final exam
Method(s) of Instruction
A. Lecture presentations
B. Cooperative learning exercises
C. Oral presentations
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Stephenson, S., and J. Dmitrieva. Diagnostic Medical Sonography: Obstetrics and Gynecology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott, 2018.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
A. Read the following position papers:
1. The Biophysical Profile Score
2. Oligohydramnios: Sonographic Assessment
3. The Basics of 3D/4D Ultrasound
4. Disorders of the Fetal Genitourinary System
5. Sonographic Evaluation of the Fetal Head