DANC 1B: INTERMEDIATE BALLET
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Hours:||3 laboratory per week (36 total per quarter)|
|Advisory:||This course is included in the Ballet & Conditioning family of activity courses.|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Foothill GE:||Area VII: Lifelong Learning|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Perform the intermediate and advanced exercises of Ballet Technique, demonstrating correct body placement and positions while exhibiting flexibility, coordination and core strength.
- Identify intermediate and advanced ballet steps and combinations with correct terminology and analyze musical accompaniment and phrasing.
The student will be able to:
A. perform the exercises of intermediate ballet technique, including barre warm-up and center floor combinations.
B. define the traditional vocabulary of steps in the intermediate ballet class syllabus.
C. explain the progression and purpose of the specific order of intermediate classroom exercises.
D. analyze the historical development of ballet dancing.
E. increase body awareness and confidence.
F. apply the concepts of proper alignment and placement in all activities.
G. recognize ballet as both a physical discipline and an artistic expression
H. appreciate classical music as an integral part of the ballet class.
A. Barre exercises
4. rond de jambe a terre
5. grand rond de jambe a l'aire
8. developpe ballotte
9. petit battement
11. grand battement balancoire
12. grand foette releve en tournant
B. Center floor exercises
b. temps lie
c. pas de basque
a. pirouette en dehors
b. pirouette en dedans
c. pirouette in arabesque
c. grandes pirouettes
4. petit allegro
a. temps leve
b. sissonne tombe
c. entrechat trois
5. grande allegro
a. grand jete
c. pas de chat
d. tour jete
C. Historical analysis of ballet dancing
1. sources and influences of historical periods on ballet styles
2. transition from highly specialized training to a universal form of exercise
D. Body awareness
E. Artistic references
1. reference to contemporary dance companies and performances
2. sources and styles of musical accompaniment for ballet class
A. Demonstration and practice of intermediate ballet barre exercises
B. Demonstration and practice of intermediate ballet center floor exercises
C. Demonstration and practice of proper body awareness and alignment
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
A. Evaluation of performance skills through the intermediate level
B. Objective exams
C. Cooperative learning assignments
D. Term paper
Method(s) of Instruction
Lecture presentations and classroom discussion using the language of intermediate classical ballet, cooperative learning exercises, laboratory, demonstration.
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Grant, Gail. Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet. CreateSpace Publishing, 2013.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
Written critique of a live dance performance, optional writing exercises based on recommended reading.