DANC 18A: INTRODUCTION TO HIP-HOP DANCE
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Hours:||3 laboratory per week (36 total per quarter)|
|Advisory:||This course is included in the Social & Cultural Dance family of activity courses.|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Foothill GE:||Area VII: Lifelong Learning|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Identify beginning steps and combinations of hip hop dance with correct terminology and analyze musical phrasing.
- Perform the beginning exercises of hip hop dance technique while exhibiting proper body placement, flexibility and coordination.
The student will be able to:
A. Perform Hip Hop dance as a popular technique with an increasing degree of proficiency.
B. Demonstrate studio decorum and procedures.
C. Demonstrate knowledge of the fundamentals of Hip Hop theory.
D. Demonstrate and perform basic Hip Hop dance techniques.
E. Analyze and demonstrate Hip Hop dance in its culturally diverse American context, as well as in a global context.
F. Discuss, analyze, critique, evaluate Hip Hop in readings, video clips, and performances.
A. Performing Hip Hop dance as a popular technique with an increasing degree of proficiency through basic movements, demonstrating increased skills pertaining to memorization of phrases, physical safety, body awareness, postural alignment and aesthetic critique
1. Historical overview: Jazz Dance, Rock n' Roll, Pop Lock, Break Dance, Street Funk, House
2. Composition theory: use of time, space, energy, shape and direction
3. Hip Hop dance in relationship to Hip Hop culture: graffiti art, rap, music
B. Demonstrate studio decorum and procedures
1. Preparation for class
2. Classroom dress and proper dance etiquette
C. Exposure of fundamentals of Hip Hop theory
1. Body awareness: alignment through isolations, stretch, level, contract and release
2. Spatial orientation: space as a tangible volume and stage directions
3. Time orientation: relationship of movement to sound
D. Performance and demonstration of basic Hip Hop dance technique
1. Completion of given movement phrase
2. Improvisation of movement phrase based upon conceptual idea
3. Creation of original movement phrases
E. Analyze and demonstrate Hip Hop dance in its culturally diverse American context, as well as in a global context
1. Origins of Hip Hop culture
2. Compare and contrast Hip Hop culture in various global context
3. Visual references from video, performance, and film clips for evaluation, review and discussion
A. Demonstration and practice of beginning Hip Hop technique exercises.
B. Demonstration and practice of beginning isolations, floor and center exercises in Hip Hop technique.
C. Demonstration and practice of proper body alignment and awareness.
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
A. Periodic evaluation of performance skills.
B. Demonstration of selected movement phrases.
C. Written critiques on live dance performances.
D. Written tests on vocabulary and history of Hip Hop technique.
E. Creative project: movement problem solving and originality.
Method(s) of Instruction
A. Collaborative learning and small group exercises.
B. Discussion of assigned readings.
C. Quiz and review performed in class.
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Ambrosia, Nora. Learning About Dance. 7th ed. New York, NY: Kendall Hunt Publishing, 2016.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
A. Written critique of a live dance performance.
B. Optional writing exercises based on recommended reading.