C S 78A: SPECIAL TOPICS IN COMPUTER SCIENCE
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Effective Term:||Summer 2022|
|Hours:||1 lecture, 1 laboratory per week (24 total per quarter)|
|Advisory:||C S 1A, C S 2A, C S 3A or C S 49.|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to explain and, where possible, apply the concepts of the chosen special topic.
- Students will be able to explain how the special topic concepts in relation to the wider field of computer science, including impacts on diversity, equity and inclusion.
The student will be able to:
- Analyze and explore selected topics in computer science.
- Complete programming or other projects appropriate to the selected topics.
Possible special topics focusing on computer science issues within the following areas of specialization (but not limited to):
- Emerging programming languages
- Mobile applications
- Machine learning and artificial intelligence
- Operating systems
- Database systems
- Data analysis
- Computer graphics
- Web development
Lab content to support the selected topic.
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
Written assignments, which include source code, sample runs and documentation
Tests and quizzes
Method(s) of Instruction
Lectures pertinent to the selected topics
Discussion which engages students and instructor in an ongoing dialog about the selected topics
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Current texts based on selected topic.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
- Reading Assignments:
- Assigned textbook or directed research averaging 5 pages per week
- Instructor curated material averaging 3 pages per week
- Writing Assignments:
- Writing technical prose documentation that supports and describes projects that are submitted for grades
- Synthesizing and reporting research results