BUSI 90A: PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Hours:||4 lecture per week (48 total per quarter)|
|Advisory:||Demonstrated proficiency in English by placement via multiple measures OR through an equivalent placement process OR completion of ESLL 125 & ESLL 249.|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate appropriate use of business management terms and concepts in their strategic management plans.
- Students will critically analyze, evaluate and interpret information by integrating management knowledge in problem-solving and decision-making processes in their strategic management plans.
- Students will demonstrate their management knowledge and critical thinking in their strategic management plans and presentations.
The student will be able to:
A. Evaluate the management process and analyze its impact on organizational performance.
B. Examine the culture of management.
C. Engage in decision making and apply management strategies.
D. Assess the planning process and apply basic tenets in the management problem solving.
E. Identify the steps in management decision making.
F. Analyze the key areas of the management functions of organizing, directing and controlling.
A. Management: An overview
B. The culture of management
1. Managing social responsibility and ethics
2. Managing employee diversity
3. Managing organizational culture and change
C. Management strategy and decision-making
1. The strategic management process
2. Analyzing the external and internal environments
3. Strategy formulation and implementation
4. Strategic outcomes
D. The planning process
1. Relationships with other managerial functions
2. Types of plans
3. Strategic business units
4. Setting objectives
E. The decision-making process
1. Steps in process
2. Group vs. individual decision-making
3. Decision-making skills
F. Other major management functions
b. Structure and design
a. Motivational principles applied to a multicultural workforce
b. Communicating effectively in a multicultural workforce
c. Leadership principles
3. Controlling and monitoring
b. Types of control
c. Link up with planning
d. Techniques in effective control
4. Legal and Ethical
b. Legal issues in business
c. Elements of a contract
d. Ethical issues in management
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
A. Minimum of three written critical analyses (research/case)
B. Class discussions and participation
C. Term projects in management (group or individual)
D. Mid-term and final exams
Method(s) of Instruction
Lecture, Discussion, Cooperative learning exercises, Field work, Oral presentations, Demonstration.
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Burrow and Kleindl. Business Management. 13th ed. South-Western Cengage Learning, 2013. ISBN-13: 978-1111571726; ISBN-10: 1111571724
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
A. Reading Assignments: Weekly reading assignments from text and outside sources ranging from 50 to 100 pages per week.
B. Lecture: Weekly lecture covers subject matter from text assignment with extended topic information. Class discussion is encouraged.
C. Exercises and demonstration include individual or group participation and covers assigned reading and lecture topics.