BUSI 90A: PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Effective Term:||Summer 2022|
|Hours:||4 lecture per week (48 total per quarter)|
|Advisory:||Demonstrated proficiency in English by placement via multiple measures OR through an equivalent placement process OR completion of ESLL 125 & ESLL 249.|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate appropriate use of business management terms and concepts in their strategic management plans.
- Students will critically analyze, evaluate and interpret information by integrating management knowledge in problem-solving and decision-making processes in their strategic management plans.
- Students will demonstrate their management knowledge and critical thinking in their strategic management plans and presentations.
The student will be able to:
- Evaluate the management process and analyze its impact on organizational performance.
- Examine the culture of management.
- Engage in decision making and apply management strategies.
- Assess the planning process and apply basic tenets in the management problem solving.
- Identify the steps in management decision making.
- Analyze the key areas of the management functions of organizing, directing and controlling.
- Management: an overview
- The culture of management
- Managing social responsibility and ethics
- Managing employee diversity
- Managing organizational culture and change
- Management strategy and decision-making
- The strategic management process
- Analyzing the external and internal environments
- Strategy formulation and implementation
- Strategic outcomes
- The planning process
- Relationships with other managerial functions
- Types of plans
- Strategic business units
- Setting objectives
- The decision-making process
- Steps in process
- Group vs. individual decision-making
- Decision-making skills
- Other major management functions
- Structure and design
- Motivational principles applied to a multicultural workforce
- Communicating effectively in a multicultural workforce
- Leadership principles
- Controlling and monitoring
- Types of control
- Link up with planning
- Techniques in effective control
- Legal and ethical
- Legal issues in business
- Elements of a contract
- Ethical issues in management
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
Minimum of three written critical analyses (research/case)
Class discussions and participation
Term projects in management (group or individual)
Mid-term and final exams
Method(s) of Instruction
Cooperative learning exercises
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Certo, Samuel C.. Modern Management: Concepts and Skills, 15th ed.. 2018.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
- Weekly reading assignments from text and outside sources, ranging from 50-100 pages per week.
- Weekly lecture covers subject matter from text assignment with extended topic information. Class discussion is encouraged.
- Exercises and demonstration include individual or group participation and cover assigned reading and lecture topics.