ATHL 22A: PRESEASON CONDITIONING FOR WOMEN'S SOCCER
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|6 laboratory per week (72 total per quarter)
|Degree & Credit Status:
|Degree-Applicable Credit Course
|Area VII: Lifelong Learning
|Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)
|May be taken six times for credit
Student Learning Outcomes
- Upon completion students should be able to show increased muscular endurance and/or technical proficiency in passing, trapping, shooting, crossing, defending, and goalkeeping.
- Upon completion students should be able to understand and apply to rules and etiquette of the sport of soccer.
The student will be able to:
- Demonstrate the skills necessary to compete on an intercollegiate soccer team at a maximum level of performance
- Explain the value of sport in developing commitment, self-discipline, self-respect, and teamwork, and adhere to an athletic code of excellence through exemplary deportment both on and off the field of competition
- Discuss and demonstrate effective strategies required by the sport of soccer
- Demonstrate increased strength, endurance, stamina, flexibility, and knowledge of a healthy diet
- Advanced development of fundamental skills applicable to the sport of soccer
- Individual physical skills relative to soccer
- Team skill/plays/strategies relative to soccer
- Physical fitness development
- Muscular development
- Muscular endurance
- Cardiovascular fitness
- Nutritional knowledge
- Stress and pressure/mental game
- Choking and safeguards against pressure
- When to take chances and when to play it safe
- Concentration and "the zone"
- Video on the rules of soccer
- How to use the rulebook for soccer
- Appropriate behavior during competition
- Practice sessions
- Individual skills/techniques
- Team drills/strategies
- Sportsmanship and etiquette
- Mutual respect
- Rivalry and camaraderie
- Zeal for excellence
- Individual and team philosophy
Activities and drills that promote the student's development in the sport of soccer, such as running, dribbling, shooting, defending.
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
2. When taught as an online distance learning or hybrid section, students and faculty need ongoing and continuous internet and email access.
Method(s) of Evaluation
Physical skills and techniques will be assessed by direct instructor observation
1. Individual and team verbal critiques
2. Video analysis
3. Individual improvement, performance, and contribution to team effort
Method(s) of Instruction
Lecture presentations and team discussion
Facilitation of drills and activities that promote learning objectives
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
. NCAA Soccer Rules and Interpretations 2020-2021. .
The most recent edition of the rules and interpretations will be used; annual updates are available online at https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2021/2/9/playingrules.aspx
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
Optional reading and writing assignments as recommended by instructor.