ATHL 21B: SPORT TECHNIQUES & CONDITIONING FOR MEN'S SOCCER
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Hours:||6 laboratory per week (72 total per quarter)|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Foothill GE:||Area VII: Lifelong Learning|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
|Repeatability:||May be taken six times for credit|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Upon completion students should be able to identify weight management principles, basic physiology of exercise and benefits of regular exercise.
- Upon completion students should be able to utilize a variety of exercise modes and techniques to improve muscular strength, endurance, flexibility and cardio-respiratory endurance.
The student will be able to:
A. Assess and improve muscle strength and muscle endurance used for the sport of soccer.
B. Design and practice a program of effective muscle-training exercises.
C. Define and assess flexibility and describe the benefits of increased flexibility for the sport of soccer.
D. Demonstrate soccer specific strength exercises and routines.
E. Practice specific aerobic and anaerobic training.
F. Demonstrate and assess sport techniques for soccer.
A. Assess and improve muscle strength and endurance
1. Practice a program of progressive overloading with an understanding of repetitions and sets
2. Physical testing to determine the measure for repetition maximums
3. Demonstrate the ability to select the weight and exercise for targeting each major muscle group
4. Perform and understand the importance of multiple joint exercise
B. Design a program of effect muscle training exercise for the sport of soccer
1. Design a program for circuit training exercises that are sport specific
2. Perform proper free weight lifting techniques
3. Explain the advantages and disadvantages of free weights vs. weight machines
C. Define and assess flexibility and describe the benefits of increased flexibility for soccer specific training
1. Explain the following factors and their influence on flexibility: muscle temperature, physical activity, age and disease
2. Assess flexibility at four joint sites
D. Demonstrate soccer specific flexibility exercises and routines
1. Practice soccer specific stretching routines
2. Demonstrate PNF stretching exercises
E. Practice soccer specific aerobic and anaerobic training
1. Measure and assess individual cardiorespiratory endurance
2. Practice proper warm-up for aerobic and anaerobic exercise
F. Demonstrate and assess sport technique for competitive soccer training
1. Analyze soccer tapes for successful techniques
2. Practice sport techniques that develop skills for competitive soccer
Practicing strength and flexibility programs for the sport of soccer that improves performance, including running, stretching, footwork drills.
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
Soccer specific pre- and post-test for individual strength, flexibility, and endurance.
Method(s) of Instruction
Discussion, cooperative learning exercises, demonstrations.
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
NCAA Soccer Rules and Interpretations 2016 and 2017. Note: The most recent edition of the rules and interpretations will be used; annual updates are available online at www.ncaa.org/championships/playing-rules
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
Optional reading and writing assignments as recommended by instructor.