APPT 168: MEDICAL GAS/HYDRONICS/SIGNAL PERSON
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Effective Term:||Summer 2022|
|Hours:||36 lecture, 66 laboratory per quarter (102 total per quarter)|
|Prerequisite:||Per California Code of Regulations, this course is limited to students admitted to the Plumbing & Pipefitting Apprenticeship Program.|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade Only|
Student Learning Outcomes
- A student will be able to receive N.I.T.C. medical gas installer and braze certification.
- A student will be able to apply pipe sizing methods for all hydronic heating and cooling systems.
The student will be able to:
- Receive N.I.T.C. Medical Gas Installer and Brazer certification
- Size piping systems and equipment related to hydronic systems
- Become NCCCO Crane Signal Person certified (National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators)
- N.I.T.C. certification
- NFPA 99 certification
- Piping system sizing
- Sizing up hydraulic systems
- Sizing up hydronic systems
- National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators (NCCCO) course requirements
- Mobile crane operator practice exam
- Tower crane operator practice exam
- Overhead crane operator practice exam
- Crane inspection, methods and techniques
Students will work individually and in teams to prepare and size medical gas and hydronic equipment in the lab, which includes:
- Piping systems
- Convection, conduction, radiation
- Heat pumps
- Pre-cool and chilled water
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
2. Personal protective equipment
4. When taught via Foothill Global Access, on-going access to computer with email software and hardware; email address
Method(s) of Evaluation
Group and classroom participation
Method(s) of Instruction
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
International Codes and Standards Organization. NFPA 99 Health Care Facilities Code. 2020.
International Pipe Trades Joint Training Committee, Inc.. Hydronic Heating and Cooling. 2016.
International Pipe Trades Joint Training Committee, Inc.. Signal Person Training Guide. 2019.
Texts older than five years may be utilized in this course as industry-standard texts.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
- Readings from the NFPA 99 textbook (National Fire Protection Agency) section 99
- The application of medical gas and vacuum systems
- The design of hydronic, heating and cooling systems in a controlled environment
- The ability to signal cranes safely
- Writing assignments are part of the homework assignments from readings, and practice quizzes at the end of each chapter in the textbook, NFPA 99 Health Care Facilities Code, and the Signal Person Training Guide