APPT 141: SF 101 BASIC STEAMFITTING SKILLS
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Hours:||40 lecture, 78 laboratory per quarter (118 total per quarter)|
|Prerequisite:||Per California Code of Regulations, this course is limited to students admitted to the Steamfitting & Pipefitting Technology Apprenticeship Program.|
|Advisory:||Not open to students with credit in APPR 123.|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- A student will be able to identify partners in an apprenticeship.
- A student will be able to define common terms used in steamfitting.
- A student will be able to demonstrate the proper use of pipe cutting and threading tools.
The student will be able to:
A. Describe the apprenticeship process.
B. Describe Union Heritage.
C. Work safely on the job.
D. Demonstrate proficiency in the use of common tools.
E. Demonstrate proficiency in pipe joining and installation skills.
F. Perform soldering and brazing.
A. Apprenticeship Process
1. Training Center facility and staff
2. JATC policies and procedures
B. Union Heritage
1. History of the UA
2. Identify partners in an apprenticeship
3. The collective voice
4. Role and responsibilities of contractors
5. Characteristics and goals of outstanding journeymen
C. Work Safety
1. Purpose and responsibilities of OSHA
2. Workplace hazards
3. Fall protection
4. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
5. Electrical safety, tool safety, stairway and ladder safety
6. Proper methods for lifting and carrying objects
7. Safety issues related to excavation
8. Confined spaces
9. Fire safety
D. Common Tools
1. Identify types of and use of various tools
2. Measuring tools
3. Properly use pipe cutting tools
4. Properly use pipe reaming tools
5. Properly use drilling tools
6. Properly use pipe boring tools
7. Recognize and use digging and lifting tools
E. Pipe Joining and Installation
1. Describe common terms associated with steel pipe
2. Identify the various types of steel pipe and fittings
3. Steel pipe threading and joining
4. Flanged method of joining steel pipe
5. Use the grooved coupling method of joining steel pipe
6. Identify and properly use plastic pipe fittings
7. Identify the types and uses of fittings
8. Components and functions of hangers
9. Tube bending procedures
10. Pressure testing
F. Soldering and Brazing
1. Identify the common types of fittings used with copper tubing
2. Describe the manufacture and materials of copper pipe
3. Types of solder used for joining copper tube
4. Types of brazing filler metal used for joining copper tube
5. Types of flux used for soldering and brazing copper tube
6. Prepare and assemble copper joints
7. Perform soldering process
8. Make a brazed joint
Students will work individually and in teams on safe practices of joining and installing piping system components.
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
B. Personal protective equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
A. Results of written exercises and final examination
B. Satisfactory completion of hands-on projects
C. Maintenance of a student's workbook with questions drawn from text
D. Group and classroom participation
Method(s) of Instruction
B. Lab Assignment
C. Group Discussion
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
International Pipe Trades Joint Training Committee. Standard for Excellence. Upper Marlboro, MD: International Pipe Trades Joint Training Committee, 2015.
International Pipe Trades Joint Training Committee, Inc. Soldering and Brazing. Upper Marlboro, MD: International Pipe Trades Joint Training Committee, Inc, 2015.
International Pipe Trades Joint Training Committee. UA Pipe Fittings, Valves, Supports and Fasteners. Upper Marlboro, MD: International Pipe Trades Joint Training Committee, 2015.
NOTE: We will adopt the next edition of each text, as it is published.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
A. Readings from assigned textbooks:
1. Articles and lessons on Union Heritage, chapters 1-3
2. Laws and manuals containing safety rules and regulations for various pertinent agencies
3. Tool maintenance manuals
B. Writing assignments given in the laboratory:
1. Essays on the development, impact and importance of unions in the United States
2. Essay and exams on the importance of safety rules and regulations governing construction