APPT 134B: INDUSTRIAL SAFETY
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Effective Term:||Summer 2021|
|Hours:||54 lecture per quarter (54 total per quarter)|
|Prerequisite:||Per California Code of Regulations, this course is limited to students admitted to the Plumbing/Steamfitting & Pipefitting Technology Apprenticeship Program.|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- A successful student will be able to describe the safe use of common personal protective equipment.
- A successful student will be able to properly use and maintain various types of respirators.
- A successful student will be able to list control measures for the elimination and controls of hazards.
The student will be able to:
A. Identify regulators and legislation governing hazardous waste operations and response.
B. Describe the importance of occupational safety.
C. Demonstrate practical application of OSHA Standards.
A. Identify regulators and legislation governing hazardous waste operations and response
1. HAZWOPER regulations and standards
2. Responsibilities of Federal regulators
3. Code of Federal Regulations
4. Roles of OSHA, EPA and DOT
5. Emergency response
B. Describe the importance of occupational safety
1. Six categories of toxic hazards
2. Personal protective equipment
3. Fall protection
4. Respiratory hazards
5. Confined space entry
6. Hazard communication--MSDS
7. Lockout tag out
C. Demonstrate practical application of OSHA Standards
1. OSHA 30
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
B. Personal protective equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
Results of written exercises and final examination
Satisfactory completion of hands-on projects
Maintenance of a student's workbook with questions drawn from text
Method(s) of Instruction
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
CAL/OSHA. CAL/OSHA Pocket Guide For The Construction Industry. 2015.
CAL/OSHA. State of California Construction & Electrical Safety Orders. 2016.
Mancomm, Inc.. 29 CFR - 1926 OSHA Construction Industry Regulations & Standards. 2017.
De Mark, Larry. Signal Person Training Course Version 4 with Student Guide. 2012.
NOTE: Although one or more may not be within 5 years of the required published date, they are the most current books used when teaching this course. We will adopt the next edition of each text, as it is published.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
A. Readings from assigned textbooks
1. CAL/OSHA Pocket Guide safety regulation lessons
B. Writing assignments
1. Essay and exams on the importance of safety rules and regulations governing construction