APCA 100: CULINARY SAFETY & SANITATION
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Effective Term:||Summer 2022|
|Hours:||32 lecture, 8 laboratory per quarter (40 total per quarter)|
|Prerequisite:||Per California Code of Regulations, this course is limited to students admitted to the Culinary Arts Apprenticeship Program.|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
The student will be able to:
- Complete CPR and first aid training and obtain certification.
- Demonstrate temperature checks on refrigeration equipment.
- Complete ServSafe Food Handler Program and obtain certificate in food handling.
- Demonstrate sanitizer level checks on three-compartment sinks.
- Demonstrate safe work practices.
- Describe proper techniques to prevent injuries while using and cleaning food service equipment and tools.
- Describe basic cuts and burns and how to treat these wounds.
- Identify the different classes of fire extinguishers and describe how to use one.
- Prepare for and pass the ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification exam.
- Providing safe food (Lec)
- The microworld (Lec)
- Contamination and food allergens (Lec)
- Hygiene and safe food handling (Lec and Lab)
- The flow of food (Lec and Lab)
- Purchasing, receiving, and storage (Lec and Lab)
- Preparation (Lec and Lab)
- Service (Lec and Lab)
- Food safety management systems (Lec and Lab)
- Facilities and equipment (Lec)
- Cleaning and sanitizing (Lec and Lab)
- Integrated pest management (Lec)
- Food safety regulations and standards (Lec)
- Employee food safety training (Lec)
- First aid (Lec and Lab)
The audit of the cafeteria run by Sodexo and the Patio Room run by the San Jose Job Corps Patio Room will be an intense look at food service operations and the sanitation challenges that they face leading to the assigned comparative study.
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
2. Whiteboard with erasable markers
3. Access to commercial kitchen for demonstrations and practice
Method(s) of Evaluation
Routine checks for understanding
Evaluation of notebook
Quizzes based on the units
Method(s) of Instruction
Demonstration: Sodexo Cafeteria at San Jose Job Corps (HACCP) and San Jose Job Corps Center Culinary Patio Room (active managerial control). Students will compare and contrast the two food service safety systems and see the protocols in action
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
National Restaurant Association. ServSafe Manager Book, 7th ed. (English, with exam answer sheet). 2017.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
- Required reading of the ServSafe Manager textbook; students will take quizzes after each chapter.
- Students will be certified food handlers and earn the certification of ServSafe Food Protection Manager.
- Students will write an 1800-word compare and contrast paper regarding their audit of the San Jose Job Corps Center Patio Room and the Sodexo Cafeteria at the San Jose Job Corps. Students will also make a team presentation of their findings to Sodexo and SJJC representatives using PowerPoint.