ALCB 467: HEALTHY LIVING
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Hours:||24 lecture per quarter (24 total per quarter)|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Non-Degree-Applicable Non-Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Non-Credit Course (Receives no Grade)|
The student will be able to:
A. Identify strategies for improving or maintaining their physical health.
B. Identify strategies for improving or maintaining their mental health.
C. Better understand the biological relationship between stress, exercise, and healthy living.
D. Identify and utilize resources on campus and in the community to lead a healthy lifestyle.
A. Physical health
6. Disease prevention
7. Resources available to assist with maintaining physical health
B. Mental health
1. Stress management
2. Handling negative emotions
3. Relaxation techniques
4. Negative thinking traps
7. Resources available to assist with maintaining mental health
C. Reproductive health
4. Resources in the community available for maintaining reproductive health
D. Substance use and abuse
1. Legal substances
2. Illicit substances
3. How substance use affects physical health and brain function
4. Resources in the community for assistance with substance abuse
1. Strategies for maintaining safe behavior on campus and in the community
2. Avoiding dangerous situations and scenarios
3. Strategies for handling emergencies or injuries
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
A. Progress on Student Educational Contract
B. Class participation
C. Instructor observation
Method(s) of Instruction
Lecture, small group discussion, cooperative learning exercises, exploration of current health topics that relate to course content.
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Taggart, Lawrence. Health Promotion For People With Intellectual And Developmental Disabilities. Open University Press, 2014.
Selected articles, websites and other reference materials as assigned by instructor.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments