AHS 51: HEALTH CAREERS EXPLORATION
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Hours:||1.5 lecture per week (18 total per quarter)|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Develop personal, educational and healthcare career goals.
- Identify resources for researching potential healthcare careers.
The student will be able to:
A. Describe how personal values affect healthcare career choices.
B. Analyze career interest inventories as a resource for making healthcare career decisions.
C. Analyze the relationship between personality preferences and work environments.
D. Identify specific skills from past experience, school or work that could apply to a healthcare career path.
E. Conduct research on potential healthcare careers.
F. Evaluate literature and web resources to develop a healthcare career path for market trends, personal values and skills compatibility.
G. Conduct informational interviews to gather current healthcare career information.
H. Identify personal passions, values, personality traits and assess the degree of occupational compatibility correlated to them.
I. Identify the ideal lifestyle correlated with personal career goals essential for living a balanced and satisfying lifestyle.
J. Develop a career plan for an occupation of choice relevant to health care, listing the appropriate classes, certificates, skills and experience required.
K. Develop team work skills required for effective collaboration between all health care professionals.
L. Demonstrates the importance of productive work habits and attitudes relevant in health care careers.
A. Values Assessment
1. Values as they relate to healthcare career choice
2. Influences on individual values (family, culture, religion)
3. Role of values in contributing to a satisfying life and healthcare work environment
4. Personal values and philosophies assessment
B. Health Care Career Interest Inventory
1. Interest inventories, evaluation and interpretation
C. Personality Assessment
1. Personality assessment test
2. Personality traits desired in healthcare workers
3. Soft skills necessary for patient care interactions
D. Skills Assessment
1. Skills assessment test to determine current skills set
2. Skills set required for specific healthcare careers
E. Health Care Careers
1. Introduction to career resources
b. Radiologic Technology
c. Respiratory Therapy
d. EMT/Paramedic/Fire Science
e. Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
f. Dental Hygiene
g. Dental Assisting
h. Pharmacy Technician
i. Personal Care Aid
j. Health Technology
k. Massage Therapy
F. Health Care Occupational Data
1. Career literature and web resources
2. Labor market
3. Economic trends and their effects on career choice
4. Research methods and evaluation criteria
5. Informational interviewing techniques as a resource for gathering career information
G. Health Career Portfolio
1. Evaluation of career research information
2. Education and training needed for potential careers
3. Development of short and long term goals
H. Understanding Your Personal Profile
1. Envision the future by defining success and passion
2. Utilize personality assessment to determine an ideal health occupation
I. Determine Lifestyles and Values to be Satisfied and Happy
1. Identify life satisfaction goals
2. Happiness factor
3. Balance with career goals and lifestyle goals
J. Career Plan
1. Determine suitable health career occupation
2. Educational pathway and plan to career choice
3. Certificate, skills and experience required of career choice
K. Development of Teamwork Skills
1. Effective communication
2. Critical thinking
3. Problem solving
L. Productive Work Habits and Attitudes
1. Resilience strategies
2. Interpersonal skills
3. Coping skills
4. Stress management
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
B. Internet access
C. Modular tables
Method(s) of Evaluation
A. Participation in cooperative learning assignments.
B. Completion of a digital/written portfolio report.
C. Completion of required written assignments.
D. Participation in classroom activities and discussions.
E. Completion reflective journal prompts.
Method(s) of Instruction
B. Group discussion
C. Cooperative learning assignments
D. Individual and group presentations
E. Project based learning
G. Guest speaker
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Bingham, Mary, and Sandy Stryker. Career Choices and Changes: A Workbook to Discover Who you Are, What you Want and How to Get it. 6th ed. Academic Innovations, 2017.
Online tools, such as the following, will be used:
Explore Health Careers: explorehealthcareers.org/
California Career Cafe: www.cacareercafe.com/explore/
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
A. A written values clarification exercise.
B. A written analysis of interest inventory results.
C. Summarize results of informational interviews/guest speakers and evaluate in relationship to the healthcare career.
D. Health care career portfolio report, integrating the student's assessment results/research to a potential healthcare career.
E. Complete written activities and exercises each week from textbook.