ACTG 65: PAYROLL & BUSINESS TAX ACCOUNTING
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Effective Term:||Summer 2022|
|Hours:||4 lecture per week (48 total per quarter)|
|Advisory:||Elementary Algebra or equivalent; demonstrated proficiency in English by placement via multiple measures OR through an equivalent placement process OR completion of ESLL 125 & ESLL 249.|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Explain current federal payroll tax accounting rules and procedures.
- Perform related calculations and demonstrate the ability to apply rules and /or procedures to solve payroll tax accounting problems.
The student will be able to:
- Describe payroll laws and record-keeping requirements.
- Explain the procedures to maintain payroll records.
- Analyze, compute, and report payroll taxes.
- Prepare and distribute the payroll.
- Identify and explain payroll systems and control procedures.
- Employees versus independent contractors, federal laws protecting equal right in employment.
- Timekeeping records and computing gross earnings.
- Withholding federal and state income taxes, FICA taxes and other withholdings and unemployment taxes.
- Maintaining payroll register, employee earnings records, and paying employee wages.
- Making tax deposits, employer wages and tax reporting, payroll wages reports, and reports on non-employee compensation.
- Manual systems, mechanized systems, and computerized systems.
- Maintain internal control over payroll systems.
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
2. When taught as an online distance learning section, students and faculty need ongoing and continuous internet and email access.
Method(s) of Evaluation
Midterm and final exams
Preparing payroll tax forms
Method(s) of Instruction
In-class or electronic discussions
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Bieg, Bernard J., and Judith A. Toland. Payroll Accounting 2021. 2021.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
- Reading from assigned text
- Reading California Publications and Form Instructions at http://www.ftb.ca.gov
- Reading the latest federal tax updates at the IRS website
- Reading the latest California tax updates at the CA FTB website
- Reading Internal Revenue Tax Code and Regulations
- Reading of Wall Street Journal, Business Week, and Fortune