APRT 143B: TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENT INSTRUMENTS & DUCT SYSTEMS (FIRST YEAR)
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Hours:||30 lecture, 78 laboratory per quarter (108 total per quarter)|
|Prerequisite:||Per California Code of Regulations, this course is limited to students admitted to the Sheet Metal Testing & Air Balance Apprenticeship Program.|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Degree-Applicable Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Letter Grade (Request for Pass/No Pass)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- A successful student will be able to correctly complete an air balance report.
- A successful student will be able to identify common fan types used with duct systems.
The student will be able to:
A. Use air measurement instruments safely and accurately.
B. Correctly complete an air balance and hydronic balance report.
C. Submit a complete systems report to client.
A. Use air measurement instruments safely and accurately
1. Evaluate system conditions
2. Apply proportional and sequential balance methods and instruments appropriately
B. Correctly complete an air balance and hydronic balance report
1. Perform air flow calculations
2. Determine psychrometric condition
3. Perform heat transfer calculations as needed
C. Submit a complete systems report to client
1. Complete a basic report, to industry standards
2. Note fan amperage, overall and detailed air flow, adjustments made, final balance and air flow result, and recommendations for additional actions
Lab content includes physical verification of calculated air flows within given conditions and comparing different balancing methods.
A. Verify calculated air flows within given conditions
B. Compare different balancing methods
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
A. Results of written quizzes and tests
B. Satisfactory completion of shop projects
C. Comprehensive written final examination
D. Maintenance of a workbook of student's daily work activities
Method(s) of Instruction
C. Cooperative learning exercises
D. Oral presentations
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
International Training Institute for the Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Industry. Testing, Adjusting & Balancing of Environment Systems. Alexandria, VA: International Training Institute, 2003.
NOTE: This is the standard Sheet Metal textbook/workbook used for this course. Although it may not be within 5 years of the required published date, it is the most current book used when teaching this course.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments
A. Read unit on airflow, in the text
B. Complete all the mathematical practice problems included within the assigned airflow unit