ALCB 462Y: VERBAL EXPRESSION
Foothill College Course Outline of Record
|Hours:||24 lecture per quarter (24 total per quarter)|
|Degree & Credit Status:||Non-Degree-Applicable Non-Credit Course|
|Grade Type:||Non-Credit Course (Receives no Grade)|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Participating students will demonstrate greater proficiency in conveying thoughts and feelings verbally in social, family and workplace settings.
- Participating students will demonstrate improvement in listening skills by recallinginformation.
The student will be able to:
A. demonstrate assertive verbal skills.
B. exhibit improved basic communication.
C. demonstrate giving feedback.
D. discuss and role play techniques for negotiations.
E. demonstrate active listening skills.
This class may include all or part of these areas:
1. Assertive, non-assertive, and aggressive
2. Voice tone, inflection and volume
3. Gestures and facial expression
4. Active listening
B. Role play to practice communication skills
C. Process for increasing assertiveness
Special Facilities and/or Equipment
Method(s) of Evaluation
A. Progress on Student Educational Contract.
B. Instructor observation of ability to reflect course material.
Method(s) of Instruction
Representative Text(s) and Other Materials
Koch, K. I Never Told Anybody: Teaching Poetry to Old People. Teachers and Writers Collaborative, June 1997.
This is a seminal text for expression for people with disabilities and the elderly.
Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing, and Outside of Class Assignments